whistling Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve got a Baxi Inset 3 super back bolier - about 18 months old. Was fine until I had to have a valve in the system replaced. The system was drained and refilled. Now, when the boiler is running - after about 20/30 mins the boiler starts whistling. I know its the boiler because when I turn the stat down on the boiler, the burners stop and the whistling goes. What could it be? - air or a problem with the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like overheating. Could be lack of flow, or limescale in the heat exchanger. Was the pump replaced?

I have a powermax boiler 155 formally made by IMI Waterheating,its about 5 years old and until recently it was whistling, every time the heating came on it started about 2 minutes after it fired up.
Over the past 6 months I tried everything de-sludging it replacing pressure relief valves but all to no avail, it finally became too much and I was sick of getting up just because the heating came on.

I finally relented and phoned Baxi (heat team)
http://www.baxi.co.uk/aftersales/contact/engineerVisit.html
Telephone: 08706 096 096.
and asked for an engineer, previous tradesmen didn't want to know!
The cost was .....get this .......£235.............

Well he turned up said I know what that is and fixed in about 2 minutes it was the air/gas mixture he turned a tuning screw and bingo fixed no more whistling, he also changed the whole valve unit just to be sure ......at least I got something for my £235 !!!!

So get your local heating engineer to find this screw and give it a turn

Good Luck hope this helps :D

I have a Powermax 155 boiler in my house. From new, and 10 years old this year.

Of late, it had started whistling extremely loudly just after firing up from cold, first thing in the morning.
It wouldn't do it after that first initial start up. Thing is, at 5am it got to the point where I wasn't setting the alarm clock anymore - the boiler and it's associated whistle would do it for me.

I'd hear the fan start as normal, then a metallic sounding 'click' and the burner would ignite, the the whistle would start. It would last around 10 minutes and then fade out, as if turning down the volume slowly on a stereo.

Not just a pain in the backside, this 'whistle' is as loud as a house alarm and can be heard from outside in the street, coming from the ridge vent. As the houses in this road are all the same age I began to notice 2 others in the same road who would also 'whistle' as loudly at different times of the day...

Strangely enough though, it only seemed to happen when the outside ambient air was very cold - i.e. the last week we've just had when it was down to -6 degrees C.

A member of British Gas' Home Care service, they came out and just from what I mentioned, diagnosed a faulty gas valve.

They replaced that, according to them it's a good £170 worth of part, and since then, fingers crossed, no more early morning wake ups. Although it's also not as cold outside in the mornings, so maybe time will tell.

According to British Gas, it's a common part to fail on these boilers and after 10 years, I've done well so far.

I hope this post helps anyone who is suffering from lack of sleep due to their boiler!

Of note, British Gas mentioned that despite being a decent enough 'lump' of a boiler, these things have a chequered past, due in part, to a fatallity in Oxford some years back.

Engineers were reluctant to work on them and even British Gas are unable to get technical combustion info from Baxi Potterton.

Sponsored Links
ok, lets put this one to bed.....the boilers themselves are perfectly safe as long as they are set up and maintined properly. I doubt it was a faulty gas valve but rather as previous poster has said it needed seting up (+ and - offsets etc.). The fatalities in oxford were due to the flue pipes being breached and subsequent failures to ensure the gas valve and CO were set up correctly. From an engineer's viewpoint these are not bad units, just sometimes faulty parts are difficult to reach but most engineers (including BG engineers) seem to run a mile when required to fix one

I\\\'ve got a Baxi Inset 3 super back bolier
I have a powermax boiler 155 ........ it was the air/gas mixture he turned a tuning screw
I doubt there is 1 screw that is common to both these boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back