flow and return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a combi and my living room radiator has 2 lockshields, i think the flow abd return are mixed up, will this effect the system or should it still work ok. What happened was the pipe was blocked so i repiped it but when i fired it up i noticed the flow was going into the left hand side of the rad , just want to know if it will be ok b4 i change it again

Sponsored Links
2 lockshields can be used in the room with the roomstat to avoid anyone turning the rad off; makes no difference which side is what.

Sponsored Links
won't it confuse the water if it's flowing backwards :?: :confused:
Yes, but that's ok; water is often confused, it will get used to it.

It is not a legal requirement to de-confuse the water under the building regs.

lol-045.gif

like it

what i was thinking was when the return from the rad conects back into the main return that water will be going one way and he water in the main return the opposite way

what i was thinking was when the return from the rad conects back into the main return that water will be going one way and he water in the main return the opposite way
Not if the boiler and rads were installed correctly, if the basics are wrong, anything can happen.

i have no idea how its piped , its been in for 30 years and this the first time ive had to do anything, all i know is its the twin pipe system with the two pipes going into the 1 valve but this is a new rad and obv i have to run the flow and return seperate, this rad had been fitted bout ten years ago, and i was renweing it again 2nite and the pipework and as i said the flow went into the left, its just cz o this twin pipe system im not sure cz ive never worked on them b4

maxitwin valve

haven't seen one for years

explains why the pipework was blocked :eek:

you did put the spreader tube attatched to the valve in the rad didn't you :?:

ben will now bow out cos he is to young to remember these :LOL:

I have the same problem, i am 24, no thats what the system is piped in but about ten years ago ,my mum and dad got a guy in to put a new rad on a nother wall with flow and return on opposite ends, he done this by teeing into the main flow and return and feeding 10mm to the new rad, i have just replaced that rad and re-piped it from his tee's on the main f and r . when all was done and i fired the boiler up the flow was going into the left side of the rad

I have the same problem, i am 24, no thats what the system is piped in but about ten years ago ,my mum and dad got a guy in to put a new rad on a nother wall with flow and return on opposite ends, he done this by teeing into the main flow and return and feeding 10mm to the new rad, i have just replaced that rad and re-piped it from his tee's on the main f and r . when all was done and i fired the boiler up the flow was going into the left side of the rad

as long as it's working leave it alone ;)

see you young ung need us old hands regardless of your lip
making-fun-054.GIF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back