BT Versatility Music on Hold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have acquired a used BT versatility system and am ready to install it. I am pretty confident on the standard set up and how to wire the extensions and configure it. In terms of enabling MOH, it seems I need a MOH module and also an options module (which I dont have but seem readily available). Can I then record a message or music internally on the system or will I need an external music source, and if so any recommendations on what to use and how to install ? (I'm assuming some form of MP3 player ?)

Many thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
Mark

One thing you should not do ( unless you get written permission ) is to use the local music radio station as the music source for music on hold to callers.

This was done by a company I deal with until the day the local radio station's advertising manager phoned to discuss them advertising on his station.. he was not amused and they had to pull the plug immediately. The concern was performing rights payments on the music.

Mark

One thing you should not do ( unless you get written permission ) is to use the local music radio station as the music source for music on hold to callers.

This was done by a company I deal with until the day the local radio station's advertising manager phoned to discuss them advertising on his station.. he was not amused and they had to pull the plug immediately. The concern was performing rights payments on the music.

Point taken, but it needs to be a bespoke recording anyway.

MP3 player is perhaps not the best solution as eventually the battery will fail. It's better to use a disc player with a mains supply. You can also purchase ready-recorded MOH disks.
Re the BT Versatility system, yes you do need a MOH module. The external MOH connection is via a 3.5mm jack plug below the cover. If memory serves me correctly, programming is via the 1st extension on the system. The programming code is normally "1111" Options then appear on the LCD display. Locate & activate 'MOH - External'

Sponsored Links
MOH music is jus that - for callers on hold.

If you want a message on que while waiting for someone to answer, you use the courtesty service. There is a pre-recorded courtesy service but if you want to record your own you need the voicemail module.

Thanks for recent posts, most helpful.

I assume the courtesy service is for incoming calls to the system i.e. before being answered by the receptionist, and on hold for after being answered but while being put through to an extension, or just being put on hold whilst waiting for an extension to come free ?

I have seen a mains MP3 player that would suit

http://www.perrettcommunications.co...hops/perrettcommunications.co.uk/Products/068

but bit on the pricey side, perhaps a cheap CD player with autorepeat would suffice ?

CD player on repeat mode is a quick, cheap and reliable solution. As I said, pre-recorded MOH CD's are available with music + simple message. Ie; "Thank you for calling, your business is important to us and we value your custom"... all to a backing track of suitable (?) taste.

As for the operation of the MOH system, it will only operate once the call has been answered by the receptionist and either transferred - waiting for extension to pick up call or placed on hold.

The other feature, auto answer and place on hold is part of a DCN function. I don't know if this function is available on the BT Versatility system, but I guess it is. Best refer to the user manual.

The courtesy service on the versatility can be set with a delay in terms of rings.

For example, after two rings the system answers the call. Extensions continue to ring as normal as if the call has not been answered.

The system plays the pre-recorded or your customised greeting (using the voicemail module). It then connects to the MOH (internal or external) until the call is answered.

MOH on it's own is only for calls on hold/being transferred.

for example "Thanks for calling xxx. All our operators are busy on other calls at the moment, but your call will be answered shortly......then the music starts". The music is interspersed with the courtesy service message.

The BT Versatility is fully capable of this - it is used fairly often.

Many companies are now using the MP3 players (not battery powered ones!) for use with on hold messages/music. Obviously taking into account royalties.

SPAM

Not worth alerting a mod, they dont do anything when i call :D

Don't be tempted to use a CD player to do "on hold" music.

We did this, using cheapish CD players..... and when they are running a CD on repeat 24/7, their lifespan is literally a couple of months.

You can buy CD players that are designed to be worked in this way, but they are not cheap.

We now use an old redundant PC, copy the music tracks to the PC and just use Windows Media Player on repeat.

It has now been running for just over three years and has only had to be restarted once after a powercut.

As it was an old PC we took out of the office setup, it was zero cost too.

Regarding music played on "hold" systems, either get a PRS license for it, or purchase copyright free music, which is designed for this.

We have about a dozen classical music CDs, which for a one-off purchase cost of around £40 we can use for anything...... TV, Radio, Internet, Phone hold etc etc without incurring any purther charges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back