Drayton wireless RF1 & BAXI 105e boiler query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Can anyone tell me how to connect a Drayton RF1 wireless digistat into a system comprising of a BAXI 105e combi and a Honeywell programmer?

I have already tried to do it but got stuck. I reached a point where the the thermostats would start the boiler only if the Honeywell timer was in 'C/H on' mode.

If the timer is in 'off' mode, the thermostat won't fire up the boiler.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you

Will

Sponsored Links
That sounds exactly right?

If the Timer says "give me heat" AND the room stat says "give me heat" you get heat.

If either the timer or the stat say "i dont want heat" you dont get any...

What exactly are you wanting it to do?

That's exactly how my wireless programmable thermostats work.

Set the main programmer to CH all ways on and let the programmable digistat control the heating, the main programmer just controls HW.

Thank you for the tip.

I had just wondered if it should be possible for the stat to call for heat regardless of what time it was and regardless of the programmer settings.

Should they be connected in parallel?

Since this is a combi and there are not H/W cylinders, I suppose setting the programmer C/H to 'always on' will do the same trick.

Sponsored Links
But surely if it drops below your stat temperature at 3am your not really wanting the boiler to fire up...

The timer sets when you want the heat, the thermostat controls how much you get.

You'll be in for an impressive gas bill if you set it to always on and rely on the room stat!

But surely if it drops below your stat temperature at 3am your not really wanting the boiler to fire up...!

Mine are programmable wireless stats. You set a day temp and a night temp and programme each day's on and off periods It means you don't necessarily have to let the house temp drop completely in what would normally be an off period with just a programmer. So I have a day temp of 21deg and a night temp of 16deg.

I have one for upstairs and one for downstairs (each has its own zone valve), being wireless you can move it around depending on which rooms you are using. (though I tend to leave them in the same rooms upstairs and downstairs most of the time).

The timer sets when you want the heat, the thermostat controls how much you get.

Bit more sophisticated than the old dial on the wall. A programmable stat does both. In fact you don't need a programmer just a time clock for HW but its easier just to fit a basic programmer and leave CH on.

I dont think the RF1 is actually that sophisticated.

I installed something similar on my parents boiler, and its only a wireless equivalent to a wall mounted room stat. Doesnt have any timers or suchlike, just a temperature control.

Well I have been faffing with the damned thing all after noon and I now have the following situation.

I have run a 5 core flex between the timer and the digistat SCR unit.

I have looped the L, N, & E supply from the Honeywell ST600C timer to the Digistat SCR L, N, & E terminals.

I have taken out the existing switched return from the programmer and connected it directly to a spare core in the flex, the other end of which I have connected into the SCR backplate terminal marked 'Common'.

From terminal 3 on the SCR, I have taken another spare core back to the timer and connected in the same terminal I took the switched return wire from.

Now, having gone through wireless commissioning process countless times, I cannot get the digistat to control the boiler.

It is as if the timer is overriding the stat, or in other words, the stat may as well not be there.

BTW - I can't get the stat SCR LEDs to flash to acknowledge reception of a radio signal from the stat as described in the instructions.

Any tips would be appreciated.

the I can't get the

Having no idea of the pin out of the stat i've no idea what terminal 3 does, but asasuming its the output of the switch inside the stat then what you described is exactly what i did at my parents.

The "on" signal from the timer runs to the stat, then from the stat on to the Zone Valve (they have an S-Plan system, yours will run to the boiler instead of the Zone Valve)

As such the timer and the stat need to be calling for heat to make the boiler fire, which is exactly how a standard roomstat works.

As you cant get the radio sync to work, then i can only assume the stat is defaulting to an "on" state, so only the timer seems to do anything.

Had another good dig at it today and swapped the SCR module for a new one and everything now works as it should.

Either the SCR unit was faulty, or it operates on a slightly different frequency to the stat unit.

Drayton changed the operating frequencies a couple of years ago and I may have had a SCR with a different operating frequency to that of the stat.

Anyhow, all is now ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back