shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for this question ..i did find the answer previously by searching the previous posts but despite extensive searching its s*ds law I cant find it now and i want to be sure before starting the work tomorrow...

We have replaced an electric shower with a shower and a pump..

Is it ok to use the 6-10mm2 cable that fed the electric shower to feed the pump via a 5 amp FCU (the booklet that came with the pump says it needs a 5 amp fuse).

I was planning to use a 13 amp fused switch and replace the 13 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse?

should I also change the fuse on the MCB to 5 amp?

Is it ok to spur of this cable to low voltage extractor fan..i would like to have this connected to a switch outside the bathroom so I can just switch it on and of when I want to?

Sponsored Links
Do you have power in your loft??

I might be wrong here but when the 'Cowboys' did our bathroom at the time they have just come off the loft power(part of the ring) with a 5 amp SFS and i've never had trouble with it or thought to change it.

lol you added that fan question when i was typing... :LOL:

Can you not come off the bathroom lights for the fan? It needs to be isolated via a Fan switch and you can fit a two gang switch in order to have it on when you want it...can you get a new cable to the switch easily?

hi, thanks for the reply...i can use the lights, there is a cable in the loft I can use or I can also bring a cable of the ring main..the lights would be easier though..i guess spurring of the shower cable is not allowed then?..just was trying to avoid having to cut into the lighting circuit if not neccesary

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you want two spurs on this circuit.
One for pump, one for fan.
I would change it to a 20 amp mcb radial this allows two spurs.
With 5 amp fuses in the spurs.

The spur can double up as the fan switch if suitably located

that sounds like a good plan :D the cable is there anyway so easier to use this ..cheers guys

Bathrooms are special locations
So, Part p / notification / RCD's / etc, may affect you.

I guess so..:(

i was planning to run existing 6-10 mm2 shower cable in loft to 5 amp fused switch in airing cupboard...there is then a flex cable from pump that connects to the switch

for the fan i was planning to create a spur in the 6-10mm2 cable in the loft using a connection box to run cable (1.5 mm2 ? ) to a fused switch on the outside wall of the bathroom and then run cable from this switch back into the loft to the fan in the ceiling?

does that sound ok..having written it down it does sound like it will be notifiable

For a 20 amp radial, you would be better going direct to one spur unit, then link in 2.5 mm cable from first spur unit direct to second spur unit.
Not using a connection box.
You may need a deep back box too get both cables in

I suppose it all comes down to access mate at the end of the day..would have to see the layout of your house/bathroom in order to find the best solution.

Rocky is right and i'd re-label the 6mm as 'Loft Power Supply' then use the power for both the fan and the pump.I'd come off a SFS for the fan but run it through a proper fan isolator maybe above the door and fit a 2 gang switch were the existing light switch is.You would need a cable down to switch though of course for turning the fan on and off.

As for the Pump just another SFS in the loft.I'd even add a socket up in the loft too just because you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back