Bath waste outlet leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced my current bath outlet and overflow with a new kit. It is a tight fit, as there is very little (if any) clearance between the new pipe and the concrete floor.

There are a few odd leaks, not much water comes out.

As the area is so tight it is difficult to get a good coverage of silicon in there, so I basicaly have to get in what I can.

Would I be better to use PTFE tape first on the screw fittings (plastic) and then use silicon where I can? I am conscious that a messy silicon job will lead to leaks in the future.

Thanks

Robert

Sponsored Links
PTFE tape is good for going on threads, as for the silicone, two things
Make sure it is genuine SILICONE sealant, some "silicone sealants" will dissolve in water.

why not put the silicone sealant on the part (Waste outlet in your case) before you offer it up and tighten it, as opposed to after. And make sure you let it "cure" before testing

Cheers breezer, I'll get silicon wherever I can!!
The sealer I have is a bathroom sealer, I assume 'proper' silicon is the clear stuff?

No actually it isn't. genuine silicone sealant is the stuff that smells strongly of acitic acid (vinegar to you and me) it is available in different colours too

Other sealants as i said will actually disolve in water / not stick
you can get genuine silicone sealant from

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=13831&CATID=159198

also as a "guide" it costs about £7.00 a tube, i have tried other sealants i.e low odor, bathroom, sanitry, but they are in my opinion not up to the job

Sponsored Links
Me again.

Well, I've used the PTFE tape and silicon and the actual joins seem watertight.
However my problem now is getting it sealed between the bath and the top of the pipe. I have a foam seal, but it is a bit torn as the fitting is really tight. Am I better to leave this one on and silicon it as well, or go for a rubber one with silicon?

The space under the bath is really tight, so it's hard to see if it is sealing or not, until I put the water in ! I cannot jack the bath up either as the the installer has tiled the bath in.

Any advice again would be appreciated!

Put silicone on both sides of the foam "washer" you have, but do let it cure after fixing but before testing

thanks, I'll put the silicon wherever I can !

Cheers breezer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back