Consumer Unit

100Amp RCBO switches

2 x lighting circuits. 6amp

1 x electric cooker 40amp - 6.2kw hob, 2.1kw oven

1 x rings main 32amp

1 x ring mains 32amp

1 x immersion - only as backup 16amp

1 x shower 40amp (9.5w shower)

Now i would like to install an addtional 9.5kw shower. Is this ok? I dont mean i am going to do it myself, but wondering if it is possible with current consumer unit by having an extra 1 x 40amp RCBO (the space exist for another switch). I thought i'd check here if this is possible before getting some qoutes. the 2nd shower would be about 10-15m, in terms of cable length, away from the mains consumer unit.

thanks.

P.S at the moment, i've have no problems with tripping. in fact, since install 2 years ago, only once tripped once. basically i want to know what i need to do so i know what to ask for or at least know what sparky should be recommending..

Sponsored Links
if both showers are in use and a third person is doing a fry up on your hob the main fuse will blow.

ANd you havent told us the most important pieces of information;

what size is/are the main supply fuse(s)?
How many phases are at your property?

if both showers are in use and a third person is doing a fry up on your hob the main fuse will blow.

Pretty much doubtful IMO.Approx 118 amps? Plus the odds of both showers being on..plus the whole hob..plus the oven on full pelt? This is based on a 100 amp main fuse BTW.

Would have to have the whole house singing and dancing for that to happen.I'd fit a mixer shower in order to avoid such a problem.

Sponsored Links
ANd you havent told us the most important pieces of information;

what size is/are the main supply fuse(s)?
How many phases are at your property?

apologies, i dont know the difference between the phases. i tried searching but it isnt clear. Sorry. could you explain how to tell the difference? i have a feeling this is probably an obvious thing, but as i say i did try searching for the difference between the "phases".

i looked at the cartridges and it doesnt say what the AMP is. however, i do recall that 100A was on the fuse when my brillant sparky did the work (unfortunately, he's not around anymore- otherwise i would just get him over and trust him judgement). I know he changed the "tails" etc, but that is probably not useful info!

Pretty much doubtful IMO.Approx 118 amps? Plus the odds of both showers being on..plus the whole hob..plus the oven on full pelt? This is based on a 100 amp main fuse BTW.

Would have to have the whole house singing and dancing for that to happen.I'd fit a mixer shower in order to avoid such a problem.

thanks for that. perhaps it is an idea i havent given due consideration too. again this is probably a question for a plumber but, the new shower would go in the loft. i have a full pumped conventional CH Hot water system. assuming that it is gravity that make the water "pump" faster to the shower, would i need to request some sort of pump to be fitted too as there wouldnt be enough pressure? again, i am clutching at straws. i;m trying to learn enough so i know what to ask for! :)

Chances are it will be a 100amp main fuse but this will need to be checked by whoever is installing the new shower.

What Taylor is asking is wether you have 1 or 3 phases coming into your home.I'd say it's unlikey it's more than one.Is there just one main cable coming through the floor into just one main fuse box? The one which holds the main fuse?

thanks for that. perhaps it is an idea i havent given due consideration too. again this is probably a question for a plumber but, the new shower would go in the loft. i have a full pumped conventional CH Hot water system. assuming that it is gravity that make the water "pump" faster to the shower, would i need to request some sort of pump to be fitted too as there wouldnt be enough pressure? again, i am clutching at straws. i;m trying to learn enough so i know what to ask for! :)

I have an Aqualisa shower which works from the loft and is ideal, just comes off the loft power via a fused spur..a bit expensive but i'm not sure how many other makes are on the market.

Best not to overload your existing electrical system if you can avoid it.

Chances are it will be a 100amp main fuse but this will need to be checked by whoever is installing the new shower.

What Taylor is asking is wether you have 1 or 3 phases coming into your home.I'd say it's unlikey it's more than one.Is there just one main cable coming through the floor into just one main fuse box? The one which holds the main fuse?

hi, interesting question that because the house originally had two meters!. there was a (small) granny flat the top and this had it's own electricity meter odd i know, especially as it is very small loft conversion and there are hardly any plug points. maybe 5 or 6 power points.

so there is one main cable coming from the ground, this divides into two cartridges. there are two more cartrides, but these are unused. in the past i think it was different. but now there is only one meter and one CU unit.

oh and just curious. out of that main feed there is a red and black wire. how comes black looking wire is twised? in the sense of there being two wires that are twirled around each other? just curious, nothing else! :)

I'd say 90% of properties up here have enough pressure for 2 or more showers at the same time, assuming a limiter has not been fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back