Split chair leg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have got dining chairs with legs that screw into metal bars under the seat. One of these wooden legs have split right up near the top and is starting to run down the leg. What is the best way to secure it. Would it be wood glue?
I am female so have very limited knowledge !!!! :D

Sponsored Links
About the only thing you can do really is to rub some PVA wood glue into the crack - opening the crack as much as you can first to get the glue in. After that the leg needs to be cramped up if possible to close the crack again...or simply leave it alone for a couple of days. Its possible to drill holes for dowels across the crack which would help, but could well be unsightly. Use a damp cloth to remove excess adhesive before it dries. John :)

as burnerman says but i would use polyuathene glue(gorilla glue)as this can fill small gaps aswell,open up the split and if you can moisten 1 side and glue the other,clamp,and once it has foamed up and dried remove the excess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back