Can't get access to loft to insulate bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My bathroom sits above the kitchen at the back of my 2 bed mid terrace. The roof slopes, and is seperate from the main roof space.

I have insulated the main part of the roof, and it has worked quite well. However, the bathroom is still FREEZING! It doesn't help that the window is a bit knackered and the walls are only 1 brick thick so no cavity, but the main problem (I think) is there is NO insulation in the very small loft space above the bathroom.

Had a look last night, and I have no idea how I would do it. There is a joist, about a foot away from the hatch, and the joist runs straight across the space, and almost touches the roof. There is no way I can get beyond it to insulate.

The only 2 ways I can think of to insulate the room is to 1) lower the ceiling and then insulate, or 2) remove the tiles, insulate (assuming there is a big enough gap) and then replace the tiles.

Are any of those ideas sensible? Or should I just live with a cold bathroom!

Sorry for the essay, and any help greatly appreciated, as ever.

Sponsored Links
How about a length of say 3 in downpipe which you direct to the target, assuming the roof ceiling is standard compartments formed by rafters and noggins. Then bow loose lay insulation down the pipe.

These are a pig to do, I got a friend to do mine, he managed to squeeze in being somewhat thinner than me! Options are to put in loose fit as previously described, or fit a false ceiling below the existing (sacrificing headroom) and fitting insulation between new and existing ceilings.

Mine is North facing, 2 external walls of 9" solid construction. Window has been replaced by uPVC double glazed unit, and radiator upsized. I battened the longer wall, insulated and plasterboarded it, before fitting my new bathroom. Its still bloody freezing in there though.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back