3 year old Warmflow U90 oil fired boiler - knackered ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 3 year old Warmflow U90 boiler with Riello RDB 2.2 burner. It was making strange metallic banging noises so I got the plumber who fitted it (OFTEC registered) to come out and look at it. To cut a long story short, over the period of a week, and after servicing it (clearing out the soot/coke in the baffles I think), cleaning the photo sensitive cell, changing the pressure jet (nozzle?) and taking the whole flue out and cleaning it out (it goes up the chimney and out the stack), today he finally says he's found the problem and that the heat exchanger is leaking/broken. He shows me wet black soot from inside the boiler as evidence of this.

I'm then told that I need a complete new boiler. What I'd like some advice on please if possible is
a) can this be the only cause of the problem? Does what I have been told make sense?
a) is it not possible to change the 'heat exchanger' or is it so integral to the boiler that only a replacement makes sense.

I have no clue about this and don't want to commit to £2.5k or more of cost until I am sure I'm being correctly informed.

Thanks
Michael

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a 3 year old Warmflow U90 boiler with Riello RDB 2.2 burner. It was making strange metallic banging noises so I got the plumber who fitted it (OFTEC registered) to come out and look at it. To cut a long story short, over the period of a week, and after servicing it (clearing out the soot/coke in the baffles I think), cleaning the photo sensitive cell, changing the pressure jet (nozzle?) and taking the whole flue out and cleaning it out (it goes up the chimney and out the stack), today he finally says he's found the problem and that the heat exchanger is leaking/broken. He shows me wet black soot from inside the boiler as evidence of this.

I'm then told that I need a complete new boiler. What I'd like some advice on please if possible is
a) can this be the only cause of the problem? Does what I have been told make sense?
a) is it not possible to change the 'heat exchanger' or is it so integral to the boiler that only a replacement makes sense.

I have no clue about this and don't want to commit to £2.5k or more of cost until I am sure I'm being correctly informed.

Thanks
Michael

A mate of mine fits Warmflow boilers and I remember him telling me that he had a customer who had been running the boiler dry and then went and repressureised the system splitting the HE.

He managed to get his customer a new boiler under warranty through the Warmflow rep.

Worth a try. I would have thought.

Thanks for the responses, the plumber has already contacted Warmflow for me, they don't want to know, it's out of warranty (1 year). Not very impressed with their customer service!

So it looks like what I'm being told is correct then and I'm not being sold a line?

Sponsored Links
The Heat Exchanger should be Gauranteed for 5 years -so long as the boiler was registered and Commissioned by an OFTEC Engineer, oh and you have reciepts for each annual service, Go back to Warmflow, or if not sucessful get an Experienced Oil Engineer in for a second opinion, as from your post it could be that the engineer that you have used thus far is a tad inexperienced :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back