Replacing fascia, soffits and barge boards with UPVC

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

This isn't a DIY questions but I'd like your opinions on replacing old fascia, soffits and barge boards with UPVC.

What are the pros and cons?

I can work out the figures (have quotes for redecoration and replacement) but I'd like to know if there are hidden pitfalls, and whether it makes a difference when you want to sell the house.

For what it's worth I live in an 1952, end-of-terrace ex-council house. It is well built with a pitched roof, and apart from a tiny leak between two soffits and timber that needs redecorating, all seems sound.

Thanks folks.

Min

Sponsored Links
Pro's

You don't have to paint them ever.
They don't rot warp or shrink, or go yellow these days either.

Con's
They cost money.
You still have to wash them occasionally.
They don't always look right on all houses.

If you get it done, though make sure it's done properly and the old soffits facias and barge boards are removed, not just capped with uPVC.

The roofer said he'd remove all the old material. And houses in the street look fine wih UPVC, so I think my mind is made up!

Thanks for your help.

shame on you uPVC as said by Thermo in another post "the spawn of the devil" ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
OK Chappers, I'll stick with wooden soffits etc if you'll come and foot the ladder and make tea while I paint!

erm there is usually no need to remove the old fascia unless rotted.

and cost aint that much

please see 12

Removing the old fascia isn't required, standard Upvc fascia is only 10mm thick it is designed to be nailed to the existing facia using special pins called poly pins . removal of existing fascia is only necessary if it is rotted and then you have to replace it with new treated timber.

Removing the old fascia isn't required, standard Upvc fascia is only 10mm thick it is designed to be nailed to the existing facia using special pins called poly pins . removal of existing fascia is only necessary if it is rotted and then you have to replace it with new treated timber.

Why can't you just replace the wood with thick replacement fascia :?:

Why can't you just replace the wood with thick replacement fascia :?:
You can get thicker upvc fascia it is more expensive and is used mainly on new build. If something isn't broken why fix it?as they say, what is the point of ripping out wooden fascia which is in good condition and maybe damaging the slates above.

Thats good advice, diy chains cater for weekend builders, they pay inflated prices and think they are getting a bargain because they arn.t paying for labour.

Vinty's right there. Don't waste your money at the DIY chain stores. They're making a cool fortune. Check what you want and get down the builder's merchants. They don't bite and they know what they're on about.

I'd argue about removing the existing fascia though. UPVc lasts a long time these days and doesn't discolour like it did. Strip off all the existing fascia, soffit etc if you choose UPVc. Not much damage anywhere if you're careful. Why attach some new UPVc with a life at 20 years plus to original timber fascia etc of unknown years? If the original timber begins to rot or needs a sandown and Sikkens you'll have a big job on.

The UPVc systems are pretty low-maintenance and are well-ventilated without letting birds get a nest in. I prefer real wood for windows, roof and doors but UPVc is definitely less maintenance.

Decisions :LOL:

replace is better than capping,

just make sure you are installing replacement upvc (the thicker boards) flimsy 10mm fascia wont handle the weight of the tiles.

most trade suppliers will sell to diy'ers and all the ones in my area offer free delivery min order £50.

diy stores are more expensive.

I use the following:

10mm non vented soffit boards fixed with 40mm polytops plus baton legs.
18mm certified load bearing fascia boards - 65mm polytop fixings.
over fascia vents (look nicer than a vented soffit)
new rigid eaves felt tray

Ive updated my profile with some fascia and soffit pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back