DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

speed up plaster drying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
vik2001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote

ive had my room plastered, its almost dry, but certain areas around window is not drying up due to the weather i believe... im getting my wardrobes fitted and needed to paint walls before then. is there anything i can do to help dry up these specific patches of plaster which is still wet....

its been 10 days now....
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Generally not a good idea to artificially rush it as you could end up with cracks. A skim will usually be dry & ready to paint after 10-14 days if the room has background heat & good ventilation; a new base coat & skim will take up to 4 weeks. Was it just a skim over existing plaster or new base & skim? Assuming there was no damp previously, it may be down to cold spots around the window. You shouldn’t paint over it until it’s fully dry either or you could get problems with the paint finish.

If it was just skimmed, you may be able to paint the walls where the wardrobes are going if they are dry but I would leave the damp bits around the window until they have a chance to fully dry out. If it’s a full base coat & skim, it could take up to 4 weeks or even longer as I said. If you paint walls that still have a high moisture content (even though they may look dry) & cover them with wardrobes you could end up with damp musty smells, damage your new wardrobes & your clothes!
 Alert Moderators
vik2001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote

thanks rich
some areas were bonded where required and skimmed, other areas were just skimmed alone...
i let it dry naturally, be on safe side
 Alert Moderators
maaaaaaaaat

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

vik2001 wrote:
ive had my room plastered, its almost dry, but certain areas around window is not drying up due to the weather i believe... im getting my wardrobes fitted and needed to paint walls before then. is there anything i can do to help dry up these specific patches of plaster which is still wet....

its been 10 days now....
youve got moisture coming in from outside,or your windows
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote

10 days in a heated room is a long time to still be drying out.

It is likely to be condensation or a leak.
 Alert Moderators
maaaaaaaaat

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote

vik2001 wrote:

its been 10 days now....
and also let me tell you plaster sets and dries in a few days in a lived in house, rc is talking ,,,,.....,.,.
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote

maaaaaaaaat wrote:
its been 10 days now....
and also let me tell you plaster sets and dries in a few days in a lived in house, rc is talking ,,,,.....,.,.[/quote]

It is likely Richard was referring to inherent moisture and not the visual darkened state of wet plaster.
The following user says thank you to noseall for this useful post:
Richard C (13 Nov 2009)
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote

maaaaaaaaat wrote:

and also let me tell you plaster sets and dries in a few days in a lived in house, rc is talking ,,,,.....,.,.

Your first post made a lot of sense (with info I had already advised) but I really don’t know why you thought it necessary to make it personal on the second icon_confused.gif . Plaster might appear to be dry in your “world” but if knew the trade, you would not have posted as you did. icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: