Central Heating not workign Hot water OK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had this issue last year, but went away a day or so later. Anyway it happened a few weeks ago and I bleed all the rads and it seemed to fix it. But now it's packed up again. Here are the details.

Thermosat - Old Honeywell mechanical job (three wire)
Timer - Mechanical Danfoss 102
Boiler Baxi WM 381 RS C.H.B

Everything looks pretty old.

OK. First up, although the thermo is pretty crap it does seem to work. When it fire up it clicks and a switched circuit kicks in at 230v.
Timer seems to work as hot water works and switching it to hot water only, stops the 230v to the thermostat.
I've flushed the system and added sludge treatment. Left two weeks and drained the system several times. Pretty scummed up.

I worked out which pipe comes from the boiler to the heating (as opposed to the hot water tank) and bleed this as well, again pretty sludgy.

Now when hot water fire up all seems ok. The C.H pipe also gets hot. Bleeding this at the boiler and the water is hot, but the rads are stone cold.
If the hot water is not being heated, the flames do NOT come on.

I'm guessing there is a pump somewhere in the boiler, but can't see one and not being stupid I have no intention of removing the boiler covers..

Is it likely to be some sort of pump (would this stop the flame coming on), or another issue?

If it is a pump, do you thing they are available and if so what am I looking at?

Thanks for any guidance.

Stu..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick reply.

Am I likely to have 2?

I have found a similar one, but it seems to be conected to the hot water tank, with pipe half way up the cylinder. Then it goes to a "paddle direction indicator) and the branches of in two directions.

All my pipes are internal so not being easy to trace.

Stu.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add, this seemed to be doing little so I cranked up the speed and it went nuts, loads of gushing water in the pipes, after 5 mins turned it back down, but still now hot water in rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back