roof tile replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, can anyone tell me if I have to remove a ridge tile to replace the uppermost slate tile which has cracked and slipped? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Highly likely, yes. You could offer a new tile into place by removing the nibs, but this is pointless. If the remnants of the old tile are still in place then removal of the ridge is a must.

unless u can get some clear silicone on as many edges as poss and hold in place tiull set.saves all the hassle and possible extra damage to surrounding ridge tiles.ive done this several times now with no problems of leakage/seapage afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Sorry i thought you were referring to slates as tiles and not as real slates.

Slates are flat no nibs and rely on fixings, clay or conker tiles have nibs or lugs that hook onto the tiling batten.

Sorry i thought you were referring to slates as tiles and not as real slates.

Slates are flat no nibs and rely on fixings, clay or conker tiles have nibs or lugs that hook onto the tiling batten.

me too

in leiu of it bein slates.can u fix a batten across 2 rafters??.then you could get a strip of lead,nail it the batten,lay it flat down the roof.silicone slate joint well.bend lead strip up tile a couple of inches.chaeck silicone seal and hey presto.you could also put a bead of clear silicone along the underside edges of slate,to help hold it in place.this is purely to save removing the ridge tile,but ive never had a leak yet.

if the ridge is loose lift it off and renail the slate. if it's firmly stuck a piece of lead or copper or one of the many invisable fix measures availble will do it.
Personally I would rather not rely on an adhesive type measure..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back