Mold and Mildew Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

We are starting to get a very depressing mold / mildew problem in our house.
Its a 1930 cavity brick building with what appears to be a slate DPC on stone. The only hung floor is in the front room, the remainder is solid.
The roof is slate with no membrane.

Shortly after buying the house, about 7 years ago, we had central heating and a combi boiler fitted so no water tanks as well as double glazing throughout.
I also insulated the loft space and hopefully left the cavity clear but I'll check. I have just refitted the kitchen with new extractor fan above the kitchen window and an extractor hood above the cooker.

Up until this year whilst the house has been constantly lived in we don't seem to have had a problem unless our sone left a wet coat in a cupboard, but no one is now living in it regularly apart from the odd weekend or infrequent short 2 week breaks.

We first noticed a white mold spread over the fabric sofa in the front room and inside wooden and behind cupboards and on wooden carvings and leather products. Also now we have noticed a similiar problem has moved up into the front bedroom, my wife described in places seeing a moving white spourous substance on the top of a cupboard.

I have read that this is probably caused by several factors:
Damp in the walls, front garden concreted many years there are airbricks but they are above the hung floor. A neighbour has alos build a couple of sheds against another wall but has left a gap which is constantly filled with DIY Building leftovers, plastic pipework boards etc so the are is constanly wet (can I get a court order as its my wall, have asked hime several times to clear it)?
Damp in the roof space - just had several damaged tiles replaced but have been told that the roof will only last this winter?
And a lack of passive ventilation.

Can anyone point me to a decent graphical display and info on house passive ventilation E.G. showing where air bricks entry points and exit points should be installed, I believe if I get a decent flow of air throughout the house the mold will not come back (once cleaned up), am i correct.
Unless I need something else?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Air bricks high on wall to allow best passage of air, ideally every room including kitchen and bathroom which also need mechanical ventilation.

it's worth whipping up a couple of floorboards and having a poke around to see whats happening under the floor.
Airflow is one of the biggest problems, so make sure your air bricks arent actually blocked.

it's worth whipping up a couple of floorboards and having a poke around to see whats happening under the floor.
Airflow is one of the biggest problems, so make sure your air bricks arent actually blocked.

OK so i should have airbricks to allow air to flow from the outside through the cavity into the void under the hung floor in the front room. The rest of the ground floor however is solid.
Should I have vents up high on the internal walls to allow air to flow from one room to another?

What I need to do is to generate some airflow through every room?
During the day especially when the sun is out my conservatory gets warm so I was thinking of leaving a window open between the conservatory and the main house then adding vents in each internal wall finally finishing upstairs. The only problem is to generate airflow the air has to get out somewhere but this will involve heat loss so I have been looking around the net and it seems the gold plated solution would be to fit a heat exchanger in the loft, but at a cost of about £1000 - £2000.

Sponsored Links
hi!
neo
i m really agree with that your suggestion that air bricks should not be blocked infact in every room.
and should vents up high on the internal walls to allow air to flow from one room to another.

Heat loss in minimal especially when compared to the damage mold and damp can do to the property and your health.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back