Drayton Tempus 7 not quite working right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just swapped a Randall 4033 for a drayton tempus 7.

The Randall was powering a Myson backboiler, a water heater with a built in thermostat halfway up the cylinder with 1 valve that I can see.

The Randall was wired with the 1-6 link and no wire in terminal 5

I followed the wiring instruction for the conversion that was supplied by Invensys.

All works ok except the central heating radiators do not warm. I tried altering the jumper setting but this seemed to have no efect.

The radiators did warm up though if i turned both the hotwater on.

Any ideas

Steve

Sponsored Links
The Randall was powering a Myson backboiler, a water heater with a built in thermostat halfway up the cylinder with 1 valve that I can see.
Does the valve look like the left pic or the right? If the right one, what is the valve number? If you have only one valve, your system could have been converted to a "Plan C" (pumped CH and gravity circulation HW)

View media item 5946 View media item 11762

The Randall was wired with the 1-6 link and no wire in terminal 5
The link is not required for the Tempus; remove it. The reason for no wire in terminal 5 will be clear when you post what sort of valve you have.

Wiring
4033 terminal 2 = Tempus terminal 4
4033 terminal 4 = Tempus terminal 3

A bit hard to tell which it looks like but it seems to have a sprung lever which is positioned to the far left. The valve number as far as I can make out is a Honeywell 9145.

There is also a pump near the valve.

The jumper between A and B is currently removed.

When ther hot water came on the radiators cooled.

Turned the water back off and the rads re-heated.

I'm sure it is something fairly simple but I just cannot see it.

Sounds like something is back to front.

On the old programmer there was no connection to terminal #5 so can I check that on the new one you haven't connected anything to #1 ? (this terminal goes LIVE when DHW is turned OFF)

Sponsored Links
A bit hard to tell which it looks like but it seems to have a sprung lever which is positioned to the far left. The valve number as far as I can make out is a Honeywell 9145.
The valve number will begin with a V.

You should be able to tell which type of valve it is from the number of pipes! One has three pipes connected, the other has two. If you have a three pipe version, the pump will be connected to the middle one, one will go to the HW cylinder and the other to the rads.

If you are really stuck, post a pic of the valve and all surrounding pipework. An overall pic is best, not close ups of each component.

The jumper between A and B is currently removed.
A and B on what? Neither the old nor the new programmer has terminals labelled A or B.

On the old programmer there was no connection to terminal #5 so can I check that on the new one you haven't connected anything to #1 ? (this terminal goes LIVE when DHW is turned OFF)

Hi,

Yes in my attempt to get things working I re-wired terminal 4 to terminal 1.
Doing this got the radiators working but only with the hot water OFF.

When wired to terminal 1 it all swithces on ok and fires up but the rads do not get hot.

Will swap them back in the morning then but still need to get the rads going.

Will re-check valve in morning but sleeping bod in bedroom prevents checking now.

Hi,

Yes in my attempt to get things working I re-wired terminal 4 to terminal 1.
Doing this got the radiators working but only with the hot water OFF.

When wired to terminal 1 it all swithces on ok and fires up but the rads do not get hot.

Will swap them back in the morning then but still need to get the rads going.

Will re-check valve in morning but sleeping bod in bedroom prevents checking now.

Sorry, meant 3 to 1

You won't get anywhere until you have identified the type of valve! This determines whether you need a connection to the HW OFF terminal of the programmer.

The valve number will begin with a V.

You should be able to tell which type of valve it is from the number of pipes! One has three pipes connected, the other has two. If you have a three pipe version, the pump will be connected to the middle one, one will go to the HW cylinder and the other to the rads.

As far as I can make out you only have 3 wires to connect up.
(Assuming the system worked perfectly on the old controller.)

On the 4033 terminal 2 was Heating_ON and this should now go to 4.

4033 Terminal 3 was Heating_OFF, now to term 2.

4033 Terminal 4 was DHW_ON, now to term 3.

if this still doesn't work change the A/B jumper position.

Everything is now wired according to above post.
When jumper is set to A the heating comes on but the rads to not get hot.
When Jumper is set to B both the heating and Water come on (heating won't come on independantly) and the rads get hot.

The old system used to all independant.

Any ideas?

OK, and with DHW only does the boiler fire, the pump run and the 3-port valve direct the hot water correctly towards the storage tank only?

Edit: If the DHW is behaving itself I would be inclined to try moving the wire which is currently in terminal 2 into terminal 1.

okay, done that. Just DWH on but all rads have now come on with vengance ! Storage came on too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back