Loose rawl plug fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 7mm rawl plug which is loose. I drilled a 7mm hole in conrete block, but the screw just causes the plug to spin. I have removed the wall plug and cleaned the hole, but the hole is now slightly bigger.
I still need to put a fixing in the same place, as all the other fixings are fitted. What is the best method of repair, if I want to fit another rawl plug in the same place?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't drill anymore, but tap in an 8mm plug......ones like those made by Fischer are particularly good as they have flutes that help the plug from turning. Use some PVA glue to help things along. If need be, maybe you can drill another hole alongside? If the blocks are soft, drill an undersize hole and this could help to grip the plug better. John :)

I always drill 2mm less than suggested for block. I use 5 min Araldite to stick the Rawl plug in with if it spins.

If its a thermalite type of block you are drilling into, drill undersize, glue the hole, tap the plug in and leave it a while....you only get one good chance with these! John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I have the Fischer plugs mentioned, so I will fit an 8mm plug using Araldite or No-More-Nails. I hope Breeze block is strong, as the fixings are for a couple of brackets to support a ceramic high-level cistern, which is fairly heavy.

Each bracket has 4 screw holes and it was one of the screw fixings that was loose.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back