Mixer Or Electric Shower big decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thought id ask for some advice as i dont ant to make the wrong decision

I currently have a 10.5 electric shower installed but would like to change to a mixer something like this one
http://www.victoriaplumb.com/Shower...lves/Cyclone-Shower-Valve-Minima-Kit_432.html

is has a minumum 0.5 bar pressure

My main question is would it be suitable with my combi and would i get decent amout of pressure through it

Combi is Vokera Maxin 24e (approx 10 years old)
working pressure hot water
max 6.0 bar
min 0.6 bar
flow rates
min dhw 2.8litres/min (I dont know the max flow)
User/service booklet here http://vokera.excaliburstudio.co.uk..._installation_and_servicing_-instructions.pdf

Any advice would be great

Many Thanks

Kev

Sponsored Links
You need to check the flow rate you get from your hot water taps. If its less that about 9litres per minute then your not going to get a decent shower. Even its higher than this, check what happens when someone flushes a toilet or turns on a washing machine. Mixer showers off combi boilers can work very well but need a good supply into the house. Also a 24KW boiler would struggle to give enough heat for more than 1 outlet at a time.

Also a 24KW boiler would struggle to give enough heat for more than 1 outlet at a time.

I think your probably right with the above

Dont get me wrong the hot water does get bloody hot but the flow isnt that good when at its hottest, ill stick with my electric one for now, its a shame as the mixers do look very nice.

Regards

Kev

As Elkato said, any less than than 9 litres p.m. and your shower won't be that great.

Another thing, I looked at the link for Victoria in your post. Nowhere can I see mention that its a thermostatic mixer. This may mean that if your hot flow isn't great, and someone turns on a hot tap elsewhere, you will get a cold shower. Bracing!

When buying mixers:
1) get a thermostatic one
2) go for a reputable brand/don't just go on looks - never heard of the Vic. Plumb one. Screwfix have Triton thermo. mixers starting from £50.

Your 10.5 kw should give a good shower, if your combi ain't up to it. Though as a rule, a properly sized combi will always give a good shower - better than electric.

Sponsored Links
the other issue with changing an electric shower for a combi driven mixer is the amount of time a combi is broken!! at least with an electric shower you have some facilities while you wait on parts

Your right

This is a cracking price
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47639...ower/Triton-Altair-Thermostatic-Mixer-Shower#

Specifications
Minimum pressure recommended 0.5bar. Minimum operating water pressure 0.1bar. Flow rate at 0.1bar 4Ltr/min at open outlet (unrestricted). Pipe centres 150mm. Max. temperature set at 39-41°C. WRAS approved. Mounting brackets not supplied.

Surely with these specifications this should work with the combi

Is it possible to measure the flow rate at the hot tap
Also if i used a smaller shower head would that make any difference to the pressure comming through or am i talking *******s

Another point to note my combi is downstairs and the bathroom directly above

Kev

you can measure the flow rate with a flow cup or simply by timing how long it takes to fill a bucket (if you know the capacity of the bucket).
Don't get the wrong end of the stick. This shower will work with your combi and will probably give ok performance provided you have sufficient flow. Will it be better than a 10.5KW electric shower? Again it depends on the flow rate.

You need to check the flow rate you get from your hot water taps. If its less that about 9litres per minute then your not going to get a decent shower. Even its higher than this, check what happens when someone flushes a toilet or turns on a washing machine. Mixer showers off combi boilers can work very well but need a good supply into the house. Also a 24KW boiler would struggle to give enough heat for more than 1 outlet at a time.

Just checked flow rate and its around 10.5 - 11 ltrs a min

Do you think this will give a decent shower

Also with my boiler being approx 10 years old so when it does go coput (touch wood), ill definately be replacing it with a much higher spec one

If that is the flow from your hot tap then it when the temp is 40-45 C then you should be ok. You could still get a drop in pressure from the shower when another outlet is opened but this can happen with electric showers also.

the shower is not very expensive and if the piping is relatively straight forward I'd suck it and see.

Your right

This is a cracking price
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47639...ower/Triton-Altair-Thermostatic-Mixer-Shower#

Specifications
Minimum pressure recommended 0.5bar. Minimum operating water pressure 0.1bar. Flow rate at 0.1bar 4Ltr/min at open outlet (unrestricted). Pipe centres 150mm. Max. temperature set at 39-41°C. WRAS approved. Mounting brackets not supplied.

Surely with these specifications this should work with the combi

Is it possible to measure the flow rate at the hot tap
Also if i used a smaller shower head would that make any difference to the pressure comming through or am i talking ****

Another point to note my combi is downstairs and the bathroom directly above

Kev

Just fitted one of those this weekend on 'mates rates' for friend who wanted a shower without spending lots of money. Good value for money. He didn't want to hack the walls about, so we used 2 lengths of chrome pipe with these fixing brackets (N.B. Get them on Ebay, they are twice the price at Screwfix!). Didn't take long.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRITON-BAR-MI...en_BathroomAccessories_SM?hash=item439af7096c

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
yep thats the flow rate from the hot water tap

Shower ordered, from screwfix
Triton Fixing brackets ordered from Ebay
Copper pipe picked up from B n Q

Will be a couple of weeks before i get it installed as waiting for new bathroom suite to turn up

Ill keep you informed once up and running

Thanks everyone for the help / guidance

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back