Cooker Hood Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have just bought a new cooker hood, the chimney type and i want to know what the law states about positioning of the wiring to the hood.

I know the hood needs to be connected via a fused double pole spur and i know you can't really hide it behind the chimney.

I wanted to mount the FCU on the underside of the cupboards and then run the spur from that to the inside of the chimney and connect the chimney flex to the spur T+E cable inside a sunken box with a blank plate over it, so all the wiring is nicely hidden, but the FCU is accessible.

I'm unsure on the law about connections hidden behind the cooker hood, can i place an electrical connection behind the chimney to connect the flex and T+E together?

It will also be on recirculation, as it not on an outside wall to run ducting.

Regards
Paul

Sponsored Links
The law says nothing about the position of wires and connections.

It does, however, say that a competent person should do electrical work, and in special locations such as kitchens, the work should be notified to your local building control before starting.

Anyway, you are allowed to have a joint behind the cooker hood itself, this would normally be a socket outlet fixed to the wall, or a flex outlet plate.

Where in Yorkshire are you? Anywhere near Doncaster?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The law gets sticky when it talks about a competent person. I studied electrics when i first left school and got my Electrical Installation Part 1, but never managed to get an apprenticeship and ended up following a different path.

I do feel i am a competent person, but i do have a friend who is an electrician, who i ask to check what i do (although i do believe the law states you can change existing items, like replacing a length of cable or socket etc, without the need of a qualified electrician).

Unfortunately he is on holiday at the moment & can't get hold of him and i am trying to do as much as i can to keep the job going.

Regards
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back