Installed laminate floor over parquet floor - huge mistake!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought this used condo which currently has parquet floor on living and dining room.

I guess we have made a huge mistake by letting the contractor convinced us that there was no need to remove the parquet floor. Since laminate floor is already installed on living and dining room now (on top of the parquet floor), there is no way to fix it now

On the other hand, I guess it's my fault that we didn't do enough research ...

Sponsored Links
Must be me, but I don't get your problem?
If you mean it's a waist of 'investment' to cover up your wonderful parquet floor, then yes, I fully agree with you ;)

:) That's not what I meant. I regret that I didn't remove the parquet floor :(

I heard it is bad to install laminate floor directly on top of parquet floor:

"Concrete will always have moisture vapor emissions. Trap those vapors under the new laminate floor and the parquet will buckle off the concrete, under the new laminate."

I'm sure you would have been much happier with the parquet floor ;) Much nicer, richer and durable.

But that's me: into Natural Wooden flooring ;)
Can't you remove the Laminate flooring and start enjoying your real floor

Sponsored Links
Ultimately, I would want laminate floor only :)

But, it just does not make sense to remove the laminate floor now ... I guess we need to live with it ...

ah a problem solved all by itself. Im with you woodyoulike natural wood, cant beat it anywhere

Be careful!

I installed laminate flooring over an old parquet wood floor and it's now all buckling up and I'm going to have to replace the whole lot.

Would have kept the old floor, but had been painted, and was only in about a 3rd of the room for some reason!

If there was a dpm or combi underlay used on top of the existing floor it can cause it to "sweat" which will make it expand and swell and can result in causing the laminate to lift.

If the concrete has a dpm under it then I can't see the problem.

I concur with the others - who in their right mind would want laminate floor over natural wood?

As trim has already asked. Is it a dpm underlay. You can lay laminate over a real wood floor. Just a couple of things you do different. And joe if the floor didn't have a dpm of some kind don't you think the wooden floor already installed would have problems with it?

Not sure if I was clear enough - I ment that you don't put any form of dpm on top of the parquet. As matty says there must already be a form of dpm under the parquet or it would have done a good impression of a mexican wave (good practice for sking on moguls but thats about it).

Hi trim67

No, you don't put a DPM on an underfloor that is made of wood (like your parquet or existing floorboards) or sheet materials (like chipboard, plywood etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back