Coats of bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't find a post on this, so going to ask the question...

I have to plaster an area below a bay window where I removed some old wood panelling. It's quite thick to get it to match the existing plaster around the edges so my question is, is it ok to do two coats of bonding before I start with the Multi-finish?

I have already applied PVA and then put one coat of bonding on, trying to keep it no more that 11mm thick, but the amount of finish I would need probably would not work without another coat of bonding first. Also, I assume if that's ok, to apply the second coat before the first has dried out completely?

Sponsored Links
Put on a coat of bonding,,, scratch it,,, let it steady up for a while, then coat it out flush, and level off. Let the whole thing set, then put on your multi finish. The bonding i use is pink in colour,, yours might be grey, but it's the same stuff. It is ok as well to put on your second coat of bonding before the first coat has set,,, as i said, just let it steady up a bit first.

Roughcaster.

Brilliant, thanks. The lack of an instant "what the *$?! are you doing" is reassuring.

I take it you mean to let it set for a few hours as opposed to a few weeks to set completely?

Put your first coat of bonding on,,,, leave it half an hour or so, put on the next coat,, let the whole thing set, an hour or so,,, it'll change colour,, go darker,, give it a light rub over with the devil float to scratch it lightly,, you're then ready to put on the finishing. Orrrr,, put on the bonding in the morning,, finish it after dinner.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks. The lack of an instant "what the *$?! are you doing" is reassuring.

yes thats because we are all civilised nice people in the plastering forum, unlike the victor meldrews in plumbing and electrics. :LOL: :LOL:

Well just done putting the second coat on....we'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks again chaps!! :D

So far so good. Put a total of four coats on in the end!!

Next question is:

Due to the inadequacies of my timing in the renovations of this room, I need to finish the floor so have to put off doing the final layers of finish so I can get the floor curing. How long can I leave the final undercoat of plaster before I start with the finish, i.e. can it be left indefinitely or does it have to be layered on a set but moist undercoat?

It's alway better to start and finish a plastering job on the same day, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.... Don't worry about it,, the next time your ready to put the second lot of bonding coat on the wall, seal the first lot you put on with a coat of PVA,, and "let it dry", (that stops any suction),,,, then put on another coat of PVA, and plaster/coat directly on to it, while it's still wet/tacky. This method would also apply if you wanted to put on another coat of multi finish, another day.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back