Removing a wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a switch linked to a wall socket that I want to remove/close off. New kitchen means the old socket for an appliance is now not required and is out of use hidden behind a floor cabinet. It had a switch at worktop height which is now redundant and I want to remove it. What is the standard for terminating this without having to remove the wires and without leaving live wires in place ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Was this an old cooker connection unit? if so can you not find where the switch behind your floor cabinet gets power from and disconect the cable from here, thus rendring the cable inbeteen with no power? :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion. It isn't for a cooker and I guess you were suggesting it may be on a separate supply (as cooker points often are). It must be on the main ring. The problem I have is that I have just had the kitchen fitted professionally but they did not consider the power point they left behind the cupboards. For me to get at that now I would have to rip the new cupboards out. So I either have to leave the related switch visible which is a nuisance as I want to tile the wall. Or I find some way of blocking it off but obviously I want to stay within regulations.

Thanks

Get some 30amp connectors, and join the item out ensuring both ends of the ring are together to create the ring. (Assuming you had a Switch above the worktop to control the socket below)

Then tape the connectors up, and push into the metal back box. I would then cut some cardboard and stuff it behind the lugs in the 3 & 9 o'clock position and tile over it. The cardboard if fitted correctly and big enough will stop plaster going into the box.

You could put a blanking plate on it (unsightly), but id just tile over it..and have done in the past...in customers houses. :)

Sponsored Links
you should use crimps not choc bloc, look in the for refernce section for ideal crimps, crimper

This is covered by Reg 526-03 Accessibility.

If the connection is to be permenantly enclosed(Tiled over) then you must only crimp (as breezer has already stated) or braze,solder, weld or you can use a compound kit.

I have seen many a choc block where the conductor has snapped and is only held in place by the insulating tape.

I'm putting this in as it will get mentioned by the less scrupulous as one method - However, once it is tiled over who is to know what was used.

Why not use a choc bloc and put a blanking plate over the top? That way it is available for use in the future.

Listen to Breezer, the ONLY method to permanently remove the switch from the circuit is to crimp the connections together, ensure they are protected and then cover them over ready for tiling.

You should remember that the third set of cables needs to be identified as the ones feeding the elusive socket..afterall, you don't want to crimp the feed to this socket onto one leg of the ring, thus leaving it live, and leave the other ring leg free, thus breaking the ring with all the dangers that poses.

otrebor said:
The problem I have is that I have just had the kitchen fitted professionally
No, you haven't. You've had it done by AliasOmega, or one of his cowboy colleagues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back