Advice on my Alpha 240 xp and replacement Glow Worm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All :D I recently asked (and got) advice for my 10 year old combi boiler (Alpha 240 xp) as the pressure needle (?) had shot up into the red zone (about 3.5)
The plumber came today and sealed its fate :( . I also hadn't got any hot water so I knew it was ill! :idea: Anyway, the quote for the new boiler was £1500 and then there's the fitting. He said it wud be a Glow worm that would fit into the space that the old boiler had gone into. I asked if I should look on the Internet for a cheaper boiler (I don't have £1500 plus fitting) and he said 'Not to bother as he could get it cheaper than me. My sister looked around and found a Glow Worm for £479 for a single person household. Am I being disloyal or IS the boiler really past its best and should it cost me £1500 + to replace :cry: Any comments appreciated
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Anyway, the quote for the new boiler was £1500 and then there's the fitting.
£1500 sounds like the manufacturers list price. The installer will probably get it at a trade price which is about half of that. So he is making a £6-700 profit on the boiler and charging you another £X00 pounds to install it in the same location as the old one.

Get two more quotes. Glow-worm boilers do not have a good reputation.

You could even get someone else to have a look at repairing your alpha.
What exactly is the problem with it.

You could even get someone else to have a look at repairing your alpha.
What exactly is the problem with it.
Hot water stopped a couple of weeks ago but CH still working till 3 days ago. Weird noise and needle in pressure dial (?) went from the green into the red (3,5 to 4) Was told solenoid not working for HW, both heat exchangers probably scaled up along with the expansion 'something - sorry can't remember :oops:
Best bet - new boiler (Glow Worm) as my boiler is 10 yrs old it would be cheaper to get new boiler than repair old one. (Cost of repair approx £1000) :eek: and the old boiler would have to be taken apart to fix.

I've been told to get a couple more quotes. I feel bad cos the guy was a 'word of mouth' recommendation from a good friend! :oops: Wat do you think - I know you can't see it and have only my laymans memory of what he said. THANKU very much :)

Sponsored Links
Pressure probs is likely to be the expansion vessel needs recharging.
HW diaphragm will, probably, sort the hot water probs.
Noise could be fan, pump or overheating.
A fixed price repair may be worth investigating.
I doubt both h/ex's are scaled up, and the solenoid is required for heating as well as water so unlikely to be that.

Agree with TW gas.

The man who came to fix it is either a scammer or incapable. Probably the latter.

There are many people who can install boilers, not many who can fix them properly.

Your boiler at 10 years old is worth fixing. After it is done it should have another 10 years life even if it neeeds a new part or two down the line it is definately worth it and most economic thing to do.

Call Alpha and ask for the number of an agent in your area.

Say to them your friend (me, well my sister lives in Brighton so we are practically cousins) knows all about Alphas and isnists it gets repaired, as anyone trying to replace it with a new boiler especially about the cheapest new boiler the trade are using at the moment, has to be incompetent to attend a breakdown, a profiteer and a scally.

Agree with TW gas.

The man who came to fix it is either a scammer or incapable. Probably the latter.

There are many people who can install boilers, not many who can fix them properly.

Your boiler at 10 years old is worth fixing. After it is done it should have another 10 years life even if it neeeds a new part or two down the line it is definately worth it and most economic thing to do.

Call Alpha and ask for the number of an agent in your area.

Say to them your friend (me, well my sister lives in Brighton so we are practically cousins) knows all about Alphas and isnists it gets repaired, as anyone trying to replace it with a new boiler especially about the cheapest new boiler the trade are using at the moment, has to be incompetent to attend a breakdown, a profiteer and a scally.

THANKU SO MUCH cousin... (and I'm not shouting I just wanted you to know I really meant it!) :D I will get onto Alpha today and let you know what happens ;) PS x :oops:

Pressure probs is likely to be the expansion vessel needs recharging.
HW diaphragm will, probably, sort the hot water probs.
Noise could be fan, pump or overheating.
A fixed price repair may be worth investigating.
I doubt both h/ex's are scaled up, and the solenoid is required for heating as well as water so unlikely to be that.
Thanku very much for all your advice, now I come to think of it he just kept tapping things with a screwdriver :confused: so it's amazing how you from where you are can tell so much - perhaps because you know what your doing and your an honourable guy too :D
I will write all that you've told me for the next guy that comes round.
Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back