Flexible paint for covering Hairline Cracks in Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done several searches but I cant find an answer to this question however that might be because what I am after does not exist !

My 1960's town house has plastered walls which were wallpapered for many years, about 5 years ago we stripped all the wallpaper back to plaster and smoothed it as much as possible. It was then sealed and emulsioned.

There are a number of hairline cracks in the plaster, I have painted them over a couple of times but the reopen, I suspect as a result of expansion/contraction throughout the year.

I would like to find a paint that has enough bulk to fill these cracks and which is also flexible enough to ensure that they don't open up again, does such a product exist?

I know several emulsions claim to do this but the ones I have tried do not work !!

I really do not want to use lining paper as I don't like it at all.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
see my reply on the thread ceiling cracks about four topics down from this one.

Filling it with paint will take a lot of time and is a waste of time as it will only open up again. you need to use a decorators caulking

Thermo

Decorators caulk usually yes, but wytco0 said he wants his wall as smooth as possible, he can't sand caulk down and it often sinks a small ammount. Thats why I have suggested he looks at those products.

I would fill the cracks with caulk as Thermo said to reduce the size and then try one of the flexible paints.

btw, those flexible polycell paints can be overpainted but you may have to wait a while. Make sure you read the instructions about waiting times.

I did this on a ceiling 4 or 5 years back and its still OK.

Sponsored Links
if you apply it and then go back over with a smooth damp sponge, with a little practice you can get it virtually invisible.

use a very fine filler such as semin joint taping filler its also really easy to sand off.
Theres a tip for you don't use polyfiller or the likes, use drylinning jointing filler. I always use semin CE78 rapide it can be sanded back after about an hour or so rather than having to wait overnight, it is probably finer than any other filler available and sand back really easily.
Not really suitable for exterior though.

great for filling small cracks - easy to sand and better than paint!

I have been using Polycell for fine cracks, then rubbing down, then emulsioned.
I finished painting 2 weeks ago so far so good no cracks.
The cracks I filled were in a new plastered wall & big ugly cracks (not many pretty ones about).

Don't know if this will help you guys. However i repair a lot of GRP damaged items and when the GRP gets damaged it results in crazing= lots of minute cracks everywhere. They can't be filled successfully until the cracks are raked out and made bigger, thus allowing a good thick layer of filler to be applied. Once done they do not re-appear.

I went with Dulux Flexible matt paint for my ceiling, tried filling the cracks with fine filler but came back. The flexible paint has done the trick, but to be honest it looks a bit plastic, can I paint over the flexible paint with just normal matt now ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back