double pole /single pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's best double pole twin sockets or single pole?

you can buy both sp is cheaper, is there an advantage to entirely isolating a socket with its switch.

Which do you prefer?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Double Pole ones are slightly more expensive, but are much safer to use.
Go for MK/Crabtree/or Wickes new Ultimate range - the ones with a 25 year guarantee on them.

All depends what you want to use the sockets for.

In the past we have put a 45amp switch on the way into the room which has been DP and this has been used to kill all power to the sockets in that room. This therefore gave the same effect as many DP sockets.

If the house has a RCD, and is working as advertised, i cant see why SP sockets are a problem, i problem with the neutral - earth would be isolated with a DP switch, but with the SP the RCD takes a note of whats going on and kills the power showing you there is a problem.

I assume it would aid fault finding if you ever got too this side of things, but these days most things a Double Insulated so the earth is not used anymore. (ie TV's, Videos,Lamps..2 core cable items..) These days only the likes of washing machines, dryers, welders (heaters etc) are using the earth.

Alias

AliasOmega said:
If the house has a RCD, and is working as advertised, i cant see why SP sockets are a problem, i problem with the neutral - earth would be isolated with a DP switch, but with the SP the RCD takes a note of whats going on and kills the power showing you there is a problem.

the earth is NEVER switched,

suspose someone has done some work 9i.e installed a new CU), but the REC has got live and neutral the wrong way. the SP will only switch the neutral. meaning, altho switched off, is still live, this happened a few weeks ago at work

Sponsored Links
Did not say the earth was switched, i said the neutral - earth fault would be removed by you removing the neutral from the use of the DP switch.

If someone gets a shock from using a SP switched socket, and its not wired correctly, then surely thats not common and would not be classed as a daily occurance.

AliasOmega said:
Did not say the earth was switched, i said the neutral - earth fault would be removed by you removing the neutral from the use of the DP switch.

If someone gets a shock from using a SP switched socket, and its not wired correctly, then surely thats not common and would not be classed as a daily occurance.

sorry. i mis understood your previous post

I think far too much fuss is made about double-pole switching on sockets these days, and the supposed "safety" aspect is just being used to push sales by some companies.

Most countries in the world do not have any switches on their sockets. And besides, if you are really concerned about isolating both sides of the circuit, you can always pull the plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back