Draught (Draft) from ceiling through recessed lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've a kitchen extension and it has an apex roof. Ive got a wooden ceiling on the inside.

There's a fierce draught (draft?) coming in down from the recessed lighting. I'm a little concerned about lashing in expanding foam in between the ceiling and roof, and thus isolating the recessed lighting, due to the heat generated by the lights.

I was thinking a possible solution would be to invest in LED lights instead, then I could go for the expanding foam, as they wouldn't be so hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ed.

Interesting devices.
I was thinking that the LED or other fluorescent types of lights wouldn't get hot, so it would be ok to use the expanding foam near them. I wouldn't be putting the foam actually on the device anyhow.

Having similar green intentions at the moment, I'm replacing my GU10's (50W) halogens with 11W spiral tube bulbs.....illumination is instant and heat production is minimal although I'm watching it closely. John :)

Sponsored Links
I do have access, up to my wrist :) Its an apex roof on the outside and the inside. I reckon there's 30cm between tiles on the outside and wooden slatted ceiling. At least thats the depth of the recess that the velux window is in.

Yes, I can see it flapping along one side of the extension, into the gutter. (The other 3 sides being composed of a joining (neighbours)/joining(my house) and front (apex)

You could replace the lighting with bathroom lighting, the bathroom unit is sealed at the ceiling for safety so no gap for the draught.

You could replace the lighting with bathroom lighting, the bathroom unit is sealed at the ceiling for safety so no gap for the draught.
Good idea. I also think that the sockets dont have any back on them. That possibly would help. I was thinking of taking the faciaboard off and letting loose with expanding foam. Bad idea?

I am having similar trouble and posted in another thread as I did not see this one - however I cannot get into the rood void which is only 13 inches deeps anyway.The downlights let loads of cold air through from the ventilated area above even though there is a 2-3 inch layer of rockwool up there but I think this has been dusturbed by the electrician putting in the lights - and there are 12 of them in the room!

I too am thinking of low energy bulbs to reduce any heat problems and had also thought of foam but now am considering just taking the fittings out and the pushing loads of rockwool up there before putting the lights back with low energy bulbs. Any other ideas though would be useful before I start spending loads on the new bulbs...

Am reluctant to start as the fittings keep breaking around the spring mount area when they are removed or retensioned - must have got a bad batch as I am sure this cant be normal - or is it?

I have been replacing my lv bulbs with led's, they give better light and only one driver is needed for up to 16 lamps. depending on wattage.

I have been replacing my lv bulbs with led's, they give better light and only one driver is needed for up to 16 lamps. depending on wattage.

Which trype of LED device did you use? - I have seen many complaints that light is much poorer from some LED fittings/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back