Cavity Wall Insulation (do/should i need it?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a bloke from www.markgroup.co.uk came to our door today and tried to sell us Cavity Wall Insulation (at a reduced rate through the government scheme). I know very little about Cavity Wall Insulation but i know it improves overall heating costs/carbon footprint etc etc

My (semi det) house was built circa 1990 and is not really a cold house, always warm. So can anyone suggest if its worth getting installed or not? He obviously knows his stuff and was desperate for me to accept it but i need to know more first. I thought it was good for older properties etc?

He's quoted us around £100 (after the governments part payment)
Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Unsure as to if Scottish regs differ, but i'd have thought a house of that era would have required the cavity to be insulated when it was built!

I still smile about the guy who tried selling it to me over the phone. My house is victorian, 9" solid walls, NO cavity. He would not accept it.....

Unsure as to if Scottish regs differ, but i'd have thought a house of that era would have required the cavity to be insulated when it was built!

I still smile about the guy who tried selling it to me over the phone. My house is victorian, 9" solid walls, NO cavity. He would not accept it.....

YEAH MATE! I WAS THINKING THE SAME!!

Strangely enough, the only person in my street to have had this done by these guys was a little old single lady!

ive worked on houses built mid 90's and they have no insulation.

cold calling is illegal i thought.that price seems very cheap and when i looked into govt grants,admittedly several years ago and for roof insulation,it was cheaper to do it myself as there initial fee was mega expensive.
if your house feels warm enough as it is i wouldn't bother especially if youre thinking of moving in the nearish future as all these eco friendly things take years to recoup what you bung out.
if you go ahead with it,id get some more quotes

Sponsored Links
ive worked on houses built mid 90's and they have no insulation.
There are quite a few built like that. As long as the walls meet the Regs for U values no insulation is required. Untill the mid 90's the U value was 0.6 and was often done with a thicker internal block.

CWI has one of the quicker payback times of the eco measures and £100 is a good price if done properly, although your walls should be reasonably good at 0.6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back