Electric Shower dims lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the reason why the ceiling lights dim when the upstairs bathroom shower is turned on? I originally thought that the shower was wired into the socket circuit however i was mistaken. It has its own 30A fuse in the consumer unit. I have an old type consumer unit if that helps. The shower is 9.5kw.

Sponsored Links
Your lights dim owing to the voltage drop caused by the heavy load and the impedance of the cables to your house, not a lot you can do about this.
A 9.5kw shower shouldn't be on a 30A fuse as it requires almost 40A. You'll need an electrician to sort this out.

It also looks like you could do with some RCD protection as well unless you've got one before your dis board.

Thanks for your help. A 9.5kw shower is whats already installed so it was going to be a straight swap. That's not a problem i will just get a lower kw shower.

Sponsored Links
Your lights dim owing to the voltage drop caused by the heavy load and the impedance of the cables to your house,
Or a poor connection.

not a lot you can do about this.
Apart from get it checked out - poor connections can do worse things than cause lights to dim.

7.5kw is gonna be a hell of a dissapointment. :eek:
Can you still buy them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back