Condensation Fitted Wardrobe - Solution Review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have removed a 500 x 230 x 65cm (floor to ceiling) fitted wardrobe from our bedroom, on an exterior wall, in my ground floor, leasehold flat, with intention to replace, discovering condensation based mould up the wall and back of the wardrobe. This is common when you have poor ventilated rooms, i have searched the internet for solutions and found many different ideas and opinions.

I wish to tackle the problem by using a combination of these ideas but am concerned that some cost to effectiveness or combinations that maybe even cancel out each other. There is one window in the bedroom and it is often has condenation on the glass. The window frames are not our property owend by the management or whatever and are desperate for replacement, the gloss on the wood peeling and wet from the condenation. There is black mould on the window frame (not the sill or surrounding wall) this needs cleaning from time to time. The window trickle valves are usually open, but the window itself is usually ajar anyway for our cat to come and go. We dont often have the heater on in the bedroom. The bedroom is directly nextdoor to the bathroom

There is nothing in the wardrobe space at the moment. i am open to installing an extractor and modifying the wardrobe unit.

Suggested courses of action

* Firstly implementing a lifestyle change (doors closed and extractors on in bathroom while showering and kitchen when cooking, avoiding hanging up washing indoors - not often in Manchester)
* Dilute Bleach wall wash (To kill any surface lying mould)
* Apply Polystyrene 2/3mm wallpaper, applied with walpaper ready mix paste OR Silver double insulation to warm up the wall
* 2 x Moisture Crystal / Silica traps on the window sill and back of the wardrobe
* Install 2 x mini electric tubular wardrobe heaters in the back of the wardrobe - dangerous?
* Vent holes in wardrobe back board (top or bottom?) finished with white plastic grills
* Venting the external wall with a couple of holes (with extractors / insect screens / silicone) ( I cant vent up or down as we are a ground floor flat)
* Venting the external wall with an extractor fan and periodically turn it on for a couple of hours a week while cleaning.
* Cut holes in base plinths and finish with air louvres
* Buy a dehumidifier device

I have considered panelling the wall with extra boards fitted on battens, maybe insulating? but this could be costly and will further shorten what is a small master bedroom.

Look forward to hearing any feedback? Extra tips? Rubishing of this summary of advice. :)

Chris

Sponsored Links
Must admit didnt read all of the post (yawn, sorry I know, but it has given your post a bump).
You need air circulation.
When I had this problem years & years ago, I lined the wall with thin polystyrene, you could buy it in rolls.

Diyisfun:

Yes, Im sorry, i did waffle on in reflection, about the excitement that is condensation, appreciate your honesty, didnt want to be too vague and field a load of questions

I suppose the bullet pointed solutions are the main area, i have the rolled polystyrene wallpaper, plan to use it too unless it conflicts with another of the mentioned solutions?

JohnD:

The bathroom is the room right next door to our bedroom, the previous wardrobe had been chased into the wall on the 'bathroom side' of the bedroom. This seems to have been done to accommodate a wardrobe 1/2" too wide for the wall it is mounted on. It was achieved by cutting a piece of platerboard sheet away to allow the wardrobe to 'slot' in the cut out gap.

The bathroom is 'floor to ceiling' and 'floor' tiled perfectly, except for one area where a copper water pipe enters the bottom of the base tile (and right angles up to the shower through the cavity). It is siliconed in but i know it is not a good enough seal. We also find a bit of water on the tiled floor under the bath from time to time, it must go down this poorly sealed pipe hole as on the bedroom side is visible dampness on the base stud beam. As the plasterboard sheet was removed the wardrobe was pressed against this wet stud beam.

I know his will be made a big deal of and in my 'life story' above I haven't mentioned this as I didn't want everything to be blamed on it as he mould is on the opposite side.

Unfortunately our new wardrobe (which had been preordered before discovering the problem) is the same width. Our flat is a prefabricated 'wimpey' monstrosity with not a single straight wall i is 302cm at one end but 298cm at he other.

I am absolutely tackling the bathroom problem first, damp proofing and sealing properly, but I stuill would like to know what the condensation opinion is.

Sponsored Links
you mention an adjacent bathroom. How is it ventilated? and how often? have you checked for plumbing leaks as a source of damp?

I hope you don't drape wet washing about the house?
any answers?

The bathroom has one extractor which is light activated and stays on for 2-3 minutes. usually leave the light on for a bit after a shower.

Forgot to mention we do have a drying rack, but it lives in the kitchen end of the flat near a window, i dont dry in the bedroom end of the flat. I have a feeling this wont be the main

Thanks for your attention (Think we posted a the same time earlier)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back