Leaking roof. Is the skew at fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here so hopefully I can describe my problem. I have a 1899 Scottish Cottage with an extension constructed in the 1960's. I have a leak in the gable end of the extension.

rear_externalleakposition.jpg

There has been pieces of roofing felt slid under the slates to try and solve it in the past but the leak is still coming. My question is looking at the state of the skew and mortar fillet (been sealed before) is it to blame and how much would a replacement of fillet and pointing between the skews themselves? Skew length is about 6m.

roofskew.jpg

I can send a high res picture of the skew to an email address if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i it looks to me like there is no lead underneath the copping stones on gable end i i would reccomend taking of the copping stones and put lead underneath or make sure the slates overhang gable end by approx 50mm then put copping stones back on my bet is the slates dont have any overhang cost would depend on what route you took extending slates ove gable would be more expensive but probably most effective

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back