Testing Equipment for Electrical installations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am nearing the completion of a large two storey house with 280 electrical outlets and will need to certify the installation soon. What testing equipment would I need. Is there any one piece of testing equipment that would enable me to carry out all of the necessary tests? :?:

Sponsored Links
i am worried by the fact you are asking what kit to use to test it

CathalX said:
I am nearing the completion of a large two storey house with 280 electrical outlets and will need to certify the installation soon. What testing equipment would I need. Is there any one piece of testing equipment that would enable me to carry out all of the necessary tests? :?:

insulation tester
RCD tester
earth loop impedance

you can get them seperatly or multifunction

Sponsored Links
Full marks to the amateur comedian. Thanks Andrew for your sensible answer. That's what I thought. I have also seen ring main testers. Would I need one of these also?

Seriously though. If you are completing a rewire of a large 2 story building and intend to test the electrical installation do you intend to issue a Electrical installation certificate and associated paper work on completion of the test? Is there a requirement for a signature to say the electrical installation is satisfactory on the Completion certificate? And if so do you feel that you have the experience to inspect & test with the legal ramifications that this could lead to?

CathalX said:
Full marks to the amateur comedian.

I was not joking.

i look at it this way, we all need to ask advice opinions / refresh the memory now and gain, but to ask what kit to use to test an electrical installation with, after having installed it suggests to me you do not really know what you are doing, which then leads me to ask is what you have done safe?

You are absolutely right. I spent ten years working on industrial installations and never had to commission them myself. I do have to provide a completion certificate but because I am out of the business a while the Irish Commissioning Body will come out and check the work carried out. This is why I was checking out which equipment I needed to complete the necessary tests.

I have the fluke 1653, will do everything for you (including Zs and RCD testing), does not make tea or coffee... there are others of course, but i know about this one. What ever meter you will get make sure that; you have with it a valid calibration certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back