Saunier duval F24e problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New on here & have a problem so pls be nice :) .
Seems these boilers have got a bad reputation for being unreliable but unfortunalely for me im stuck with it, for now at least.

Right boiler light is flashing & led display for water is showing just under 1 bar, in the past when this has occured i've just topped up the system with the filling device.
Now when i open valve to let water in it runs for about 10 secs but then slows till you can't hear it but the bar gauge stays at 1. Also water starts to drip frm under the 'RPZ' valve( i think) as though the system is overfull, drained some water from rads & no airlocks but still not working.
Managed to get it working last nite & was fine until timer kicked in this morning & hello flashing red light again :cry:
Any ideas as to what it could be just so i could narrow it down before i call someone out.

Thank in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev,
Thanks for your reply, looking at the manual its the 'reduced pressure zone valve' where it appears to be dripping, which sits next to the 'prv'.
When i drain some water off it stops dripping. Could the prv still be part of the problem.

Sponsored Links
when you say you got it working, how was that, as you say you can't get it above 0.1bar??
otherwise sounds like the filling loop is not working for starters. Very common problem. the kit is a glowworm part no 2000802600. Once thats fitted you can fill it, there may be other issues afoot but until you can get some water in it you won't know.. :(

the correctly identified rpz valve you refer to is also sometimes reffered to as a disconnector. Its a stupid thing that was designed to make the filling device wras compliant, ie disconnected when not filling.

Don't know but it fired up & ran for at least an hour until it reached temp despite it staying at 1 bar...??. Its back to flashing red now, the filler does put water but it'll slow & stop after 10 secs or so as though its full but bar gauge still doesnt move from 1 bar.
Could it be the water pressure sensor saying its too low when in fact its full, i don't know, clutchin at straws here.
Rang one engineer & he says he's busy till end nxt week...!!. Wonder if its cos its saunier duval.........

if its getting to 1 bar then thats sufficient. You may just have low pressure. Your obviously losing water. Is it still leaking out of the rpz after you have filled it? is any water going outside through the prv pipe?
Btw some engineers may not be aware that this boiler is almost identical to the glowworm ci. It was the older SD boilers that people are fearful of, but may not be aware the more recent ones are not so bad.

Thanks for replying Micky,

Its dripping out of rpz but nothing major bout a teaspoon if that & no water out prv outside either..??

mickeyg said:
the correctly identified rpz valve you refer to is also sometimes reffered to as a disconnector. Its a stupid thing that was designed to make the filling device wras compliant, ie disconnected when not filling.

never come across one :oops:

mickeyg said:
It was the older SD boilers that people are fearful of, but may not be aware the more recent ones are not so bad.

sooner have an sd :LOL: ;)

Is it dripping constantly or just when you fill it? its normal to drip out when filling. If your getting it to 1bar and its going back to 0 your losing the water somewhere.

It only drips when i fill but no matter what i do it stays at 1 bar. I've let some air out of expansion vessel & dosent appear to be any water coming out.
I got it running again today for a few hours but alas its back to flashing fault. Could it be a combination of expansion tank needing re-pressurising along with re-placing saftey valve & maybe gauge.....

1 bar should be fine. If its not holding it, the water has to be going somewhere. I'd be tempted to fit an external filling loop as the internal ones on these are problematic anyway. Worth checking the expansion vessel and prv at the same time.

I've tested the expansion vessel & no water comes out at all, re-pressurised it & although i've taken water out of the system, i'm not sure how much ie.possible false pressure reading......got it working again last nite/today (lowered temp settings) & checked pressure return valve & it was ****ing out (outside), so does this mean expansion vessel is knackered or is it something else as no water comes out of vessel when valve is tested.....???. I realise the prv valve will prob not seal now, so is this now a contributary factor or would it have been an issue in the 1st place.
Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes: .

expansion vessel is either faulty or the flexible pipe to it is blocked(quite common). give it a wiggle and a bend before re checking the ev pressure. I'm not sure your properly checking the ev, there's some instructions in the FAQ on this site. You will likely need a new prv as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back