Part P Cert work council properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a self employed spark and have a job to fit a shower in my relations house but its a council house.
As im not part p self certifiable will there be any problem from the local authority when i notify them of the job. just wondering if they might say no way it must be done by someone on a list of approoved contractors.

Anyone got any idea?

• Thanks
Reactions: OJ
Sponsored Links
There isn't a short cut or everybody would be doing it.
If you are not registered with one of the schemes (ie you should be listed here: www.competentperson.co.uk ) then you would need to do this as a DIY job.

To do this you would need to pre-notify the local authority and pay their fee. They will come and inspect before and during the works.

As a registered spark who has to pay a lot of money every year to be in one of the regd schemes I do hope they say no way!

Im a self employed spark....im not part p self certifiable...
Is that financially viable?

How do you remain competitive if you have to add a few hundred pounds to your price to cover notification when sparks who can self-certify only pay 1/100th of that?

He did not say self employed domestic electrician. As an industrial electrician you don't need Part P.

As to question this would be up to council housing department and they have some funny ideas.

I would not think anyone could guess answer. The same doing work on any property when the owner has not requested the work.

I have seen this with disabled assistance where the council agrees to fit some aids then the owner then says not in my house. And after seeing how a wheel chair lift was removed 3 years after the death of the user without warning and without returning it to state it was in before fitting I can understand why any owner may be reluctant to let anyone modify their property.

However my local council housing department seems to be well behind in repair work and would likely allow anything which reduced their own work load.

All one can do is ask.

Sponsored Links
Im a self employed spark and have a job to fit a shower in my relations house but its a council house.
As im not part p self certifiable will there be any problem from the local authority when i notify them of the job. just wondering if they might say no way it must be done by someone on a list of approoved contractors.

Anyone got any idea?

You say you have a job, I take it this means your relative is paying you to do the work. If this is the case, by the time they have paid you and then the LA fee it would probably be a lot cheaper to pay a spark (who can self certify) to do the job.

Alternatively
Do the job and don't inform the LA. Make sure you fit a unit that was on the market pre Part P and if anyone queries it in the future your relative can say it was fitted in December 2004. ;)

Hold on guys....when the OP says "fit an electric shower", does that mean as a replacement, or from scratch?

He did not say self employed domestic electrician. As an industrial electrician you don't need Part P.
:oops: [Shuffles feet and stares at ground] True. [/shuffle] :oops:

As to question this would be up to council housing department and they have some funny ideas.
There are two aspects to this.

Firstly, the Building Regulations, and they affect gazdunnit in the same way that they would affect anybody doing domestic work no matter who owned the property.

Secondly, the fact that his customer does not own the property, and that the people who do own it have a legitimate interest in what is done. Again this would be the same no matter who owned it - council, housing association, Crown Estates, Church Commissioners, MOD, private landlord...

They have the right to decide who may do what. In this case they might insist that the work be done by a registered electrician. They might only recognise NICEIC (possibly on some kind of anti-competitive restraint-of-trade thin ice though). They might say the work can only be done by one of a list of approved contractors (ditto). Once upon a time they might have said the work could only be done by a council employee, but those days are long gone.

What I can't see them allowing however is notifiable work done but not notified in the proper way.

All one can do is ask.
That would be best.

Taylortwocities";p="1415670 said:
You would need some cable in the old colours too mind see

Martin, you (and the eBay vendor) are dangerous.

I am not dangerous. If the guy is an electrician he is competent. That is for him to decide,

Anyhow it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek , really. following on from
what Johnmelad502 wrote

"Alternatively

Do the job and don't inform the LA. Make sure you fit a unit that was on the market pre Part P and if anyone queries it in the future your relative can say it was fitted in December 2004. icon_wink.gif"

I think your just laying into me because I am new, what about him he started it?

I mean if he is going down the illegal route. Which I would not advocate, especially if the property is not your own, then me pointing to an ad for some old cable is not going to make the situation more dangerous than he is doing, again I can't be responsible for his level of competency; only he can, and is under law.

Whenever someone in this country decides to break the laws regarding part p, they do so knowing they are breaking a law unless they are ignorant of the facts (not a defence that could be used). To do this in your own home is one thing but in some else's rented property; well I think I would advise them to think long and hard about possible repercussions - do they have Public Liability Insurance - if there were a change of tenancy and the new tenent decided to have a shower when the cover to the shower was broken, what would the fitter of the shower be. Up the swanny thats where.

I will remove the ebay link so that in future people won't know where to get red and black cable from

Warm regards

Martin

You would need some cable in the old colours too

It doesn't really matter about the colors. Brown/blue cable was on the market before Part P came into force in January 2005, so its presence alone would prove nothing about the legality or otherwise or the work.

I know, I know. Guys; it was meant to be a joke!

Based on the fact that there is so much old cable being offered for sale at a premium price.

But if you have to explain it, then taint funny I guess.

I am sure if gazdunnit is a spark I am sure he is fully aware of his obligations regarding professional conduct.

I have removed it so, can we all just move on?

Yours

Martin

No probs, Marty.

Many of the contributors on here know very well how the game is played sometimes.

But this is a forum for DIYers seeking good advice. Personally I would not encourage anything else.

OK OK Guys Thanks for the info and warnings.
For the record I am a competent industrial spark I do Automation and commissioning work.
As to the legalities of my question if I had no scruples I would not be asking the question in the first place. I'm sure we have all been there a friend or family member asks can we do this or that job.
well i've spent the last week getting myself fully informed as to the correct way forward spending a lot of money off my own back bringing myself up to date as well as registering for part P.
Once again thanks for the info lads.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do I hear you right your going on the competent persons scheme for ONE job!

Can't be you must be changing to domestic?

It cost me nigh on two grand to do and counting, I have come from a similar background to you. Allen bradly controllers etc. But manufacturing is dying out in the south so I have gone back to house bashing, it has been a slog but am finally getting some continuity of work and I am dammed if am working for another company just to be made redundant as soon as work drops off for a bit. Least working for yourself you can advertise and network and get work.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back