Bath/shower mixer in council property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has asked me to install a bath/shower mixer in his council flat. The flowrate to the bath taps for the cold is twice that of the hot and I am want to avoid problems the unbalanced supplies will cause re using the mixer. It would be possible to fit a service valve on the cold supply pipe with a view to reducing the flow to that of the hot, but having checked the existing pipework I have found that the cold section is run in 22mm, but the hot section (from a combi boiler) is run in 15mm. This should be changed but should the local council be responsible for this work? I should add that my friend is partly disabled? Any views appreciated.

Sponsored Links
don't wanna say that the pipes are what you say they are. but i think they must be the other way. u can just tee off the h&c supply and fit a pressure reducing valve to the cws. but imo i would keep an electric shower as if the boiler goes tits up then the shower could be used as a back up.

Nath

No, they are not the other way, they are as I have described them, with the cold having twice the flowrate of the hot. I take the point about a PRV, though. I am just trying to establish whether with this installation, if not fit-for-purpose, the council have an obligation to replace the said section of 15mm pipe with 22mm? :confused:

I am just trying to establish whether with this installation, if not fit-for-purpose, the council have an obligation to replace the said section of 15mm pipe with 22mm

No chance of the council doing this for you-the purpose of the cold pipe is to supply water to the bath,which it does perfectly well-it's compatibility with the shower mixer is not really their problem or concern.
It would make little difference anyway if it was 15mm.
Why don't you fit a 22mm isolation valve on the cold instead and partially close it to restrict the cold supply? Er,like you said you were going to do?

Sponsored Links
No chance of the council doing this for you-the purpose of the cold pipe is to supply water to the bath,which it does perfectly well-it's compatibility with the shower mixer is not really their problem or concern.
It would make little difference anyway if it was 15mm.
Why don't you fit a 22mm isolation valve on the cold instead and partially close it to restrict the cold supply? Er,like you said you were going to do?

Because if the pipes had both been run in 22mm in the first place, ie correctly, there would have been a better flow available at the mixer than by installing a restrictive 22mm valve on the cold supply. If, as you say, the council show no concern (default mode? :) ) then I will fit the valve.

Firstly i am going to assume the cold supply to the bathroom is from the mains.
If that is the case your pressure IS balanced.
You have a combi fitted so the hot supply is fed from the same cold mains supply therefore same pressure.
There is a greater flow rate from the cold because the volume of a 22mm pipe is over twice that of a 15mm pipe.
It would make not a jot of difference if the hot pipe to the bathroom was a 42mm pipe as the cold supply to the combi is 15mm. The flow rate through the combi is also restricted to around 2 gallons/minute dependant on the boiler make size etc.

Solution - fit a service valve to the cold.

If the cold supply to the bathroom is tank fed the supplies are unbalanced. Although the hot has a lower flow rate (governed by boiler) it will have a higher pressure.

Solution - Alter the cold to the bathroom to mains supply to balance the pressures or fit an electric shower.
There is too much risk of scalding to fit a bath shower mixer to this set up.

The council have no obligation to alter anything on this system but you have an obligation to tell them you are installing a shower!

Tamz, this makes a lot of sense. What I forgot to mention was that the mains supply to the flat and, hence, to the combi, is via a ¾ inch steel pipe. Prior to the connection to the combi there is a steel to copper adapter followed by a 22/15 reducer. Also the combi does not deliver anything like 2 gallons/minute, it is actually less than 1 gallon/min. The boiler is a Vaillant, not sure of the size, but it is about 11 years old.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back