Wiring of shower unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a shower unit installed two months ago.

The double pole ceiling pull switch malfunctioned and I obtained an exact replacement and fitted it. It is working okay.

However on reflection something is worrying me, - there was only one earth wire - which I assume is from the consumer unit.

Should there not be an earth wire from the S.U. which should connect into the same earth terminal on the switch?

The shower circuit is connected via an RCD.

Sponsored Links
yes your correct in what your saying. there should be an eath from the consumer box connected in the switch to the one from the shower

have a look in the shower unit to see if there is an earth present. Could have been snipped off at the switch.

a earth continuity test will show if there is an eath connected.

Thanks for your very prompt reply.

I have only limited knowledge of electrics, but I suspected that there should have been an earth from the unit.

Now back to the contractor,- he better come up with a good answer!!!!!!!

Appreciate your confirmation. Very grateful.

possibly two bare earth wires have been sleeved with one earth sleeve, giving the appearance of one wire.

Sponsored Links
SNAP!

To shinalight. Why did the pull switch "malfunction"? Did one of the terminals overheat?

a good point made.

make sure all the terminals are fully tightened, and that they are tight as you offer the switch against the box. they can and will overheat if loose.

Where I was headed is:

If the terminals were loose and the switch failed
If the eath conductor is missing

then I would be seriously worried about the quality of this installation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back