Kitchen drawer front removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure this the correct section but I suspect carpenters will have fitted a few kitchens in their time.

My problem is the drawer front fron has come away from the actual drawer unit. It is a modern type unit with soft close runners. The drawer front is held on with a brackets that are screwed from the back, these brackets then go into the metal side of the drawer.

I have removed the plastic strip covering the adjustments for the drawers and I can see the bracket and that there is a screw in the middle of it but turning this doesn't seem to release the bracket.

How can I remove this bracket to enable me to screw it onto the back of the drawer front and then re-insert back into the drawer side.

I'm sure this is a simple process when you know how but I don't want to force anything and break the drawer.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
The plastic bracket should pull straight out from the drawer. Try using a pair of pliers. The screw you can see in the drawer is used to adjust the drawer front, either moves the front up and down or sideways.

The screw you are turning is the height adjuster

About 30mm nearer to the front of the draw is a part covered metal plate with a "+" to take a phillips screwdriver. as you put the screwdriver into the + the part covering it will move, then turn the screw appro 45 degrees and this will release the bracket.

To replace the draw just push it back in and it will snap intoo place.

You DO NOT need pliers

Jason

Edit have a look at page 38 of this pdf

http://www.blum.com/pdf/katalog/ka090_en/04/KA090-KP-004_buk.pdf

Jason, the OP did say that the drawer front has came off the bracket. He's asking how to get the bracket out of the drawer. ;)

Sponsored Links
Its the same way whether the bracket is fixed to the draw or not, a 1/8" turn will have it just pop out, there is quite a strong spring. If he did as you says and tries pulling it out with pliers he will either damage the diecast (they are not plastic) bracket or b*****er the draw side.

Jason

The OP does say that the brackets are plastic. I'm assuming they are not the same as the Blum ones. Perhaps a bit like the Cook & Lewis kitchens from a well known shed. If it is this type then all he has to do is pull out the plastic bracket as its held in with the cover clip.

Thanks for all the replies,

jasonb you were right there was a partially hidden + screw that when quarter turned popped the bracket out. All sorted now.

Thanks

Told you so ;) , Joiner, the OP said the covers were plastic.

Jason

Humble apologies Jason. I stand corrected (must learn to read one day) :oops:

I have had a kitchen with blum drawers for about six years. The drawers are terrible, they can't be loaded very much. But now I have the problem of finding out how to refit a front that has fallen off. Can anyone tell me exactly where the cross is that I have to turn to get the brackets out?

At long last I have found the cross, it is about 20mm behind the big screw and above it in a rectangular hole. Give me wooden drawers any day. The glide and soft shut only works with empty drawers and doesn't give any advantage at all. Why ever make drawers this complicated?

You can buy the blum runners in different weight capacities. I use the 30kg ones for smaller draws and the 50kg for pan draws and have not had any problems with any of the kitchens I have made.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back