BAXI 551/552 BACK BOILER CUTTING OUT ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I think I may be up S*** creek without a paddle but here goes. I have a Baxi 551/552 back boiler in my house that is in the process of being sold ( get the picture!) the boiler lights and fires for 20 minutes and then cuts out. The rads are not boiling but warming up by then. It then wont start again to later.?
I imagine its a cut off kicking in or the Heat exchanger sludged up causing it to cut out.? If it is the worst, will flushing the system or HE sort this out or indeed a power flush? What test can I perform to check it out?Bearing in mind I am selling the house within the next 6 weeks???

Sponsored Links
check pumps ok first, see FAQs at top of page

flush won`t do it any harm ;)

The pump is brand new along with room stat, cylinder state, motorised valve, control box. The pump is firing up and appears to be running. Hot water is being deposited into the cylinder upstairs until cutting out.?
Sorry could not find FAQs at top of page? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt give the OP any advice on this..........all hes gonna do is pass the trouble onto some poor sod thats buying the house.

You could always drop the price and tell them the problem?

Shouldnt give the OP any advice on this..........all hes gonna do is pass the trouble onto some poor s** thats buying the house.

You could always drop the price and tell them the problem?

I imagine its a cut off kicking in or the Heat exchanger sludged up causing it to cut out.? If it is the worst, will flushing the system or HE sort this out or indeed a power flush? What test can I perform to check it out?Bearing in mind I am selling the house within the next 6 weeks???

sounds like the op is trying to sort it to me

Sorry Slapper where did i say Im gonna pass the buck on to the new owner.? Thats why Im here to get advice and get it sorted for everbodies sake. Thanks Glasgow for your advice.

When it cuts out . see if the boiler stat is still clicking if it is and its not firing then it is more than likely the gas valve solenoid breaking down

Thanks namsag I will try this and let you know. Thanks kev for back up. Your right I do want to sort it but of course in the cheapest way as Im all ready 10k down on sale and spent 13k in legal cost getting a ex out of the house who trashed it. another 15k. Business on the brink of colaspe and I need to move so I can put office in my new home. Bla Bla sorry to bore you slapper.

Thanks namsag I will try this and let you know. Thanks kev for back up. Your right I do want to sort it but of course in the cheapest way as Im all ready 10k down on sale and spent 13k in legal cost getting a ex out of the house who trashed it. another 15k. Business on the brink of colaspe and I need to move so I can put office in my new home. Bla Bla sorry to bore you slapper.

wasn't just me then

been there only diff was i walked ;)

The say the motorised valve has been change? Did they change the complete valve or just the head? Some people tend to try changing the head first only to find it's the valve that is sticking or passing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back