Old coal boiler stack in my loft - removal of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just gotten into my new loft for the first time i found this old disused coal boiler stack up there. The flue within no longer goes through the roof and the stack itself stops just short of the roof.

Is there any reason i shouldnt be able to just remove it brick by brick myself?

It actually starts in the top corner of the kitchen, goes up through the corner of the 2nd bedroom and then into the loft. The bedroom part is ok as it forms part of the airing cupboard but i'd really like to get rid of the bit in the kitchen too if possible.

Sponsored Links
no reason at all...just re site the central heating tank on the same level as the grey domestic water one ...supposed to be on same level anyway :idea: . That bit in the kitchen will probably have to stay as it`ll be a lump of concrete poured when the house was built :eek: You could chip off some plaster and see :idea:

hehe thanks for that chaps. I was indeed going to start from the top of the stack. Not sure about the bit in the kitchen though. It seems to have a metal plate screwed into the base of it but i just don't know what is supporting the bit upstairs. Obviously the bit in the loft is supported by the bit in the bedroom. but what is that on. grr. hate not being sure

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the bit in the kitchen though. It seems to have a metal plate screwed into the base of it

sounds like gallow brackets.

forgive my ignorance, but a gallows bracket is one of these?
gallows-bracket.jpg

There is no sign of them anywhere in the kitchen. If you see the second image the orange cube in the corner of the room is just that, a cube. Where would these brackets be located?

I tihnk i'll life the boards upstairs tomorrow to see whats going on there.

well the bosch metal detector says that the plate at the bottom of my lil chimney is metal so i guess its just a case of repainting and trying to ignore it lol

I`d find that cube easier to ignore than the siting of the boiler next to the arch and the bloody great long flue :eek: CORGI-Schmorgi a gas fitter never will have a Plumber`s eye for detail :rolleyes: . Anything for an easy job. :evil:

I`d find that cube easier to ignore than the siting of the boiler next to the arch and the bloody great long flue :eek: CORGI-Schmorgi a gas fitter never will have a Plumber`s eye for detail :rolleyes: . Anything for an easy job. :evil:

hehe. We think it was more to do with the old woman living there not wanting her other cupboards moved but we dont know. I have a man coming to move it dont worry :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back