steel beam by bathroom window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to refit a ensuite for a customer and could do with fitting a 4" fan. Only throble is the ensuite is very narrow and the only external wall has a window across. Unable to go through roof without removing tiles.

Bathrooms are not a problem for me but the ins and outs of house building are.

What i need to know is whats the chance that there will be a steel beam directly above the window. Ensuite is on second floor.

Anyone with building knowledge out there?

Sponsored Links
Forget drilling anywhere up to 225mm above the window and a further 225mm beyond the reveals.

In any case, if this is not a gable end, then the roof overhang and soffit is likely to interfere with any attempt at drilling through above the window line.

ok thanks. I could go into loft and drill higher but it will be extremely difficult to gain access to get a ladder up the side of the house to put the external grill on

Whats the problem with fitting a tile vent? some can be connected to the hose of an extract fan.

Sponsored Links
im with mac.much easier than trying to put a core drill through the wall and if youre drilling from the inside a good cvhance of blitzing the brickwork when it "bursts" through.

I concur regards using a tvt.

You will need to stretch up the roof to at least the fourth or fifth course (conc interlocking tiles) and avoid any rafters with the vent spigot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back