Creaky New Wooden Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
We have just had a solid wood floor fitted in our living/dining room and hallway.I don't know whether I am right in feeling a little anxious about it - any comment would be much appreciated.
The floor in both areas is very creaky. Is this to be expected, and will it settle and stop over time?
In the living/dining room the new floor is laid over the existing floorboards, in the same direction. There is a fibreboard underlay between them. The boards are glued together by the T&G and nailed at the ends (now hidden under skirting), and I think at various places in the middle of the area too. The floor seems to move when walked on. Feels just like the original floorboards did - not much, but a little bit of bounce. Is this inevitable, and does it matter? It is a 'general' movement - ie. not as though the boards underneath are uneven, more as though the new and old floors are moving together.
In the hallway, the new floor is laid on sound dry quarry tiles (on concrete base). The new wood is glued together and floated on top of a combination of dpm and fibreboard underlay. The floor does not seem to move in this area particularly but does creak.
As far as I know, appropriate expansion gaps have been left - much of this is now under skirting which was replaced at the same time, but there are gaps in areas that are visible. As far as I know, suitable glue was used to stick the boards together too.
The floor looks perfect and we're really pleased from that perspective, I just can't bear the thought of having to replace it - either cost or hassle. It's only been down just over a week, so I'm keeping fingers crossed that the movement is just normal, and that the creaking will go eventually.
Sorry for the long post - any thoughts?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've found through experience that engineered hardwood flooring is best for hallways and areas that get a lot of use. Mine was from http://www.tradewoods.com but I'd probably go to a firm different to who you used to get a second opinion.

It can take over a week before a floor settled down, but the nailing in the boards - now covered by skirtingboards and in other places - worries me a bit. If there is normal movement, due to happen, this is now very locally restricted which might cause the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back