Leaking roof (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This current batch of crap weather has produced a leak into my dining room. I don't know anything about flashings but is the picture below correct?
What stops the water running down the tiles and going under the flashing?

This is a shot of the underside - is the hanging felt a cause or symptom of the problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Oscar

Sponsored Links
That's an unusual abutment mainly due to the unusual angle of the dining room relative to the main building.

There should either be a soaker system in place below the tiles otherwise the roofer should have created a valley at this abutment junction.

Is that lead over the top of the tiles?
Yes, there appears to be lead over the top and underneath the tiles.

There should either be a soaker system in place below the tiles
Can you explain please. Is this something that can be done retrospectively?

Sponsored Links
i would advise putting in new soakers up the wall or even better take out tiles fit grp fibre glass abutment flashing and re-tile this could be done pretty easily and should take no more than half a day possible cost £200 max no more than that i should think

Sorry to raise this one again but I have taken the tiles off and it looks like the roof has been designed so that the water running down the tiles goes underneath the top flashing, runs off the tiles and then continues down the bottom flashing and into the gutter. As the water runs down the bottom flashing, it is tracking along the roofing battens and finding holes in the felt under the battens.
I have looked at the links provided ref soakers and secret gutters (thanks) but as a quick fix to get the bucket out from the roof, would it be a sensible idea to apply some form of lead sealer between the upper flashing and the tiles to reduce the water getting down onto the lower flashing in the first place?
Something like a bitumen mastic?

wouldn't do any harm oscar, it should keep you dry till you get round to getting the lead soakers installed.

www.cavitytrays.com have a pre formed section just right ...I was looking in their booklet the other day ;) Type CRSS continuous Running Soaker Strip :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back