boiler not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no water or heating due to the pilot not lighting in the boiler. The reset doesn't do the job, we have no flame failure light but do have power on light lit. It's a performa 24 potterton, somebody please help freezing with 5 young children.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have a permanent pilot, it lights itself when needed.
Check the pressure is about 1 bar. If not, look up "filling loop".

We have checked the pressure and that is at 1 bar, it was low we did put it back up to 1 yesterday we thought that was the problem at first. I had a look at filling loop and the picture for it is a part that we noticed a bit of water dripping from could this need replacing?

Hi Lisa, I seem to have the same problem. I switched the Performa 24 off at the wall (whilst having a radiator bled) swithed it back on and there is no hot water or central heating. Did you get the problem sorted out? or do I need a plumber? Many thanks...Paul G

Sponsored Links
yes it was due too the boiler overheating .it has a shut down switch internal that needs to be reset.pull down the grey panel find pipe on left hand side with 2 wires coming out in a v shape.between the two wires is a little white switch use screwdriver to prod it back in and this will reset the boiler and it should work best of luck.

Many thanks Lisa. I'll try it when I get home (fingers crossed!). Many thanks for the speedy reply!!! Paul...

just joined forum because i had same problem and it works!! engineer quoted me £75 to come out just to look. Thank you for saving me

£75 just to reset thimister :rolleyes:
I charge £45 :confused:

Am i too cheap or was he ripping you off??

sry thimister is the over heat swich :D

Searched the net with the problem, great solution.

Thank you very much.

Hi can anyone help me,my husband turned the water off yesterday to fix a leak in a pipe,when he turned it back on,we found we had no heating or hot water,we have tried everything but still we are freezing cold,any suggestions,oh its a back boiler.many thanks. :mad:

Is the pilot still on, have you tried to relight it. What model boiler do you have, later BBUs have auto ignition does it try to light itself when calling for heat?

Yes the pilot light is lit,i now this may sound funny but normally when i light it,it makes a whoosh sound,and there was nothing,and no it never try's to light itself.

Is this topic now just a dumping ground for all heating problems?

yes it was due too the boiler overheating .it has a shut down switch internal that needs to be reset.pull down the grey panel find pipe on left hand side with 2 wires coming out in a v shape.between the two wires is a little white switch use screwdriver to prod it back in and this will reset the boiler and it should work best of luck.

Thanks Lisa, this worked on mine and after 3 cold baths had hot one :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back