radiator valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leak coming from a radiator valve spindle (see picture). It used to leak if the radiator was turned off but lately it's been leaking slightly all the time. I've been told by a plumber friend that all i need to do is tighten the gland nut but this won't budge and i'm reluctant to use alot of force.

Part of the problem is that the hexagonal nut (i'm guessing it's this) at the bottom is only 2mm deep so i can't get much of a grip of this - any ideas how to move it and whether this is the solution?

Sponsored Links
Not all rad valves have gland nuts - in fact most of them don't. I assume the leak is coming up the spindle?
A valve with a gland nut will have 2 hexagons - the upper one being the gland and the lower one holding the insert into the valve housing.
If yours only has the lower hexagon the valve needs renewing, but if you do have a gland, you can tighten it - but its often best to undo it and pack it with ptfe tape first. Make sure you're certain of what you have!!
John :)

ok - that makes a lot of sense - and thanks for the speedy reply. If you look at the picture there's two hexagonal nuts, one just under where i pointed to the leak (that's the one i thought was the gland nut) and another at the bottom which is a bit more obvious in the picture. Like i said i couldn't make the top one budge.

Given that the valve probably needs replacing anyway would you recommend this to a novice DIYer?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back