installing an shower extractor Fan with timer, plus max &amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, after installing myself out automatic gates, I thought maybe I might be able to handle installing a simple extractor fan ..... boy was I wrong !!!!! I am completely lost and am hoping that someone somehwere out there might kindly take the time to explain to me what I need to do as winter creeps on and our shower room is turning into a hamam!!!!

So, I have a Vortice Timer inline extractor fan (the light above the shower model), the fan is mouted in our loft and I have access to the spotlight juntion box nearby also.
I would like to have one switch to turn of the fan (in case of), and another switch to move between max/min speed in teh bathroom, as our levels of steam vary enormously between summer and winter. The wiring diagram supplied indicates 4 lives one neutral and shows on it 4 switches .... see below image .... I am a bit confused as to where I get the wires from.

I have a dedicated input line coming into the loft, but I am assumming that as I would like it to come on with the lights, I will need a switched live also ....

I'm not sure there is much room for hope.

Kind regards,
Rose

Sponsored Links
The DP switch on the far right seems to be intended as an isolation point for the fan. N1 and L2 are your permanent N/L feed, 3 is switched live from the light, and I'd say 4 and 5 will be your speed control.

It's not really practical to have a switch to turn on the fan 'in case of', unless your replace your existing bathroom light switch with a double pole variant and use one side to control the bathroom light, and the other side the fan. If you don't do this, linking L2 to 3 through a switch would also cause the bathroom light to come on.

The DP switch on the far right seems to be intended as an isolation point for the fan. N1 and L2 are your permanent N/L feed, 3 is switched live from the light, and I'd say 4 and 5 will be your speed control.

It's not really practical to have a switch to turn on the fan 'in case of', unless your replace your existing bathroom light switch with a double pole variant and use one side to control the bathroom light, and the other side the fan. If you don't do this, linking L2 to 3 through a switch would also cause the bathroom light to come on.

Thanks VERY much .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back