Basin waste thread length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to start by thanking you all for the great help and advise posted on this site, its proved priceless.
I'm now stuck with the basin trap to waste fitting. The problem i've encounted is the lack of thread on the waste is preventing the trap from tightening up fully. Is there a particular trap i need to buy for this type off short threaded waste or am i missing something ?

Sponsored Links
i would say your missing something.
smiley_16.gif

why is the thread so short ? not a useal problem.

Thanks seco services, i've just found the same question asked back in jan 08 to which you supplied the answer to. It looks like i need a chrome bottle trap from screwfix with a shallow nut.
I couldn't find the answer before, so sorry for the repeat post.

Sponsored Links
i thought that was going to be the issue.
you have a pop up waste with only about 5mm thread below.

scratch-head02-idea-animated-animat.gif

changing the trap to chrome can create another issue.

the chrome waste is a different size to our plastic waste.
and useally needs a compression waste coupler to join the two together
and can be ugly if on veiw if not being used on a stud wall where you don't see the waste.

This plumbing game aint as easy as i first thought. I'll get the trap and see what i can work out. Dont go far though, there may be more problems to follow.

the other easy way out is look around for another pop up waste and some have abit more thread and you can get away with using a plastic trap.

i change them alot as its pointless a chrome trap in a vanity unit etc.

some will say cut abit of the plastic nut, but thats not really the way to go.

wastes-basin-popup.jpg
94139000.jpg
threads deeper on the first one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back