Flat roof water drain and dispute with neigbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A few months back I had a leak coming into the house. It originated from a flat roof on the back of the house. It caused a fair amount of water damage and meant the flat roof had be repaired as it was also holding water.

The flat roof was rebuilt but I now have my neighbour stating that it has been built in such a way that the water is draining on to his roof and causing damage there. Essentaillyhis roof is holding water now aswell.

At this point I have just said I will have a roofer look into this and we will go from there. Can anyone provide advice on how best to approach this situation?

By all means I will accept responsbility if this is the case and that my roof is causing a problem but how far do I go with this. Do I pay for his roof to be repaired? Or do I put in place temporary fix to stop water draining from my roof to the neighbours?

Also looking at this from another point of view. If his roof is holding water then doesnt that mean his roof is defective anyway and that is his responsibility?

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
shedding your water onto his roof can do no dammage in the short term
you are talking years to cause dammage
unless the builder dammaged somthing or there was dammage/a fault already and the extra water has found it

pictures would be handy

this is the trouble with a shared roof especially flat but it shouldnt matter if your roof is shedding ont your neighbours this cannot be avoided with a flat roof but as you say you got your roof done surely your neighbours is at that age to depends how well you get on with your neighbour but you would be surprised what lengths people will go to to get a free roof ge an independant roofe to check not the one who did yurs that could lead to further complications

unless the builder dammaged somthing or there was dammage/a fault already and the extra water has found it

pictures would be handy

Wow, 4 damaged, all with extra m's lol :D

Sponsored Links

pictures would be handy

mm mm
i have lots spare i bought a job lot
run out off .. and .. and .. and but getting more in to.. orow ohh bu66er i have run out off ..s now :D :D

pictures would be handy

mm mm
i have lots spare i bought a job lot
run out off .. and .. and .. and but getting more in to.. orow ohh b****r i have run out off ..s now :D :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back