old fire place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old fireplace, the bricks which make up the back of the fireplace are becoming loose and the cement is falling out. Can I point this up with fire cement? If so, any tips?? THANKYOU!

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, exactly the sort of tip I was after. Perhaps while blogging with the "fireplace" DIYers I could ask if any of them know anything about mains electrics! SORRY.

I have an old fireplace, the bricks which make up the back of the fireplace are becoming loose and the cement is falling out. Can I point this up with fire cement? If so, any tips?? THANKYOU!

Is it protected by an RCD? ;) :p

Sponsored Links

Since you gave me a 'thanks' I now feel obliged to help.

Many fire place have issues with the pointing, the soot and general gases from real fires, gas fires and log burners all have corrosion properties that will get at the cement eventually.

Best thing would be to fully line it with a flue liner (single skin gas, double skin solid or wood burner) with a fire back box.

The alternative is to get the chimney swept, then undertake the odious task of raking out the cement and re pointing with a suitable fire rated cement. issue being that as the void climbs and shrinks in size you simply can't get to the small void areas going up inside the chimney stack.

So you could re point the main fire well, but if the cement is failing there it's just as likely to be failing over the entire length of the stack.

If so then the best thing to do would be to go towards the flue and line the entire stack and fit a fire box.

A picture would be good.

Thanks Chris, I fear you may well be right, I think I need a flue liner! Time to dig out the cheque book (and perhaps re-mortgage the house). :mad:

Funnily enough I nearly did mine a month or so back, but the sweep told me not to both since the fire was decorative gas and the chimney sound enough.

But I did do some research, since I would have DIYed the flue.

12m double skin flue x 150mm was about £25 per metre and the firebox (bespoke) about £200- add fitting, removal of pot, flanching, anti down draft cowl and I'd say £700-£1000 :cry:

But I did do some research, since I would have DIYed the flue.
But unless you notify LABC it won’t be certified compliant & that may give you problems later. ;)

12m double skin flue x 150mm was about £25 per metre and the firebox (bespoke) about £200- add fitting, removal of pot, flanching, anti down draft cowl and I'd say £700-£1000 :cry:
I think that’s a fair price, especially for a 12m x 150mm flue. For an 8m x 150mm flue, offset stove termination fitting, register plate, pot, cowl, & Vermiculite flue insulation (£450) + installation of the flue, cassette stove, testing, BC notices, test & certification (£400) so I paid £850 total. I though was good value considering the local independent HETAS fitter I employed was prepared to fit the stove I supplied & put in 10 solid hours work including climbing up & down on the roof with an 8m long stainless steel snake on his back; that's not one for me :confused: ! Go to a “stove shop” & you could easily pay £2k for the same work. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back