SDS+ drill bit for concrete around fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My SDS Bosch drill is a professional (blue) one but doesn't have roto stop.
I want to replace a fence post and want to drill the concrete around it.

Last time I hired a breaker, but this time I've only got 2 posts to do, and it's not worth the money.

With no roto stop, it's a case of making lots of holes rather than being able to use a chisel bit.

Do the longer bits break or could I drill down 20cm or so at a time?
What bit would people use?
A 45cm bit seems frightening, 26 would be a smaller one.

Sponsored Links
Its going to knock hell out of your drill, but thats your business...personaly I'd hire a breaker, but if your going to go your way, go for the smaller diameter drill.
John :)

Assuming it's timber, get an SDS auger bit and drill a few big holes down into the post instead, if you're lucky it's possible to remove the post (chisel, smack and lever it) leaving the concrete around it intact, which you can just slot new post into. You may need to shave the corners of the post off slightly and/or pack around the post. Not always possible but I've done it a few times.

Thanks.
I've ordered a big masonary bit anyway and will give both methods a go, probably before an emergency trip to HSS to hire what I used last time.

Sponsored Links
why not just dig it out using the post if not snapped as a lever???

slam a pickaxe into the side of it at ground level and lever it out like using a claw hammer.

Not so easy with concrete posts. :LOL:

no you can paint those ones apparantly to look like trees to avoid having to remove them :LOL:

If you put at point chisel in the drill without rotostop it is the same effect as though you had rotostop.

Posts are snapped off at ground level.
It really depends on how huge the concrete blob turns out to be.
Some of ones on the other fence were massive.

If you put a point chisel in the drill without rotostop it is the same effect as though you had rotostop.
Funny, I was thinking about exactly that when I saw it in Screwfix/Toolstation:
Pointy chisel

They can chase out walls and do light work well but you will destroy your good drill by trying to bust a big lump of concrete with it.

I would try hitting it with a heavy sledge or borrow/ hire a breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back