Current Earth Bonding Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a extension to our house and also totally changed the layout of the existing upstairs, so I have practically rewired the whole house.

The electrician who is keeping me right and will be testing & signing it all of says that I don't need any earth bonding apart from to the main water & gas stopcocks.

Is this right? my only thought was that the earth bonding is not needed because the whole property is protected by RCD.

Sponsored Links
I have built a extension to our house and also totally changed the layout of the existing upstairs, so I have practically rewired the whole house.

The electrician who is keeping me right and will be testing & signing it all of says that I don't need any earth bonding apart from to the main water & gas stopcocks.

Is this right? my only thought was that the earth bonding is not needed because the whole property is protected by RCD.

That's correct so long as each circuit is protected by an rcd then so supplementary bonding is required.

You probably won't require supplementary bonding if all circuits in the bathroom are protected by a 30mA RCD.

You will require main protective bonding between your CU and incoming water/gas/ oil pipes etc.

This will most likely need to be 10mm² but check with your electrician. It can differ with supply type.

Thanks Guys,
I thought that must be the reason, but if I'm not 100% sure about something I like to double or even treble check.

Sponsored Links
Yep you dont need it. Only main bonding and if you have plastic incoming water pipe then dont bond that either.

Rcd must be tested quartly !! Check the lable on your consumer unit

Sorry to hijack this thread......but a similar situation here......would the above apply for this consumer unit?

10mm bonding to gas supply and water supply. No supplementary bonding required as protected by 30ma rcd.

Sorry to hijack this thread......but a similar situation here......would the above apply for this consumer unit?
10mm bonding to gas supply and water supply. No supplementary bonding required as protected by 30ma rcd.
Very probably.

To omit supplementary bonding there must be:
RCD protection of all circuits in the bathroom (which you have) and
Main Bonding correctly applied (which you say you have) and
Disconnection times of protective devices met (which is likely if the installation is correct).

OR

The situation in the bathroom is such that supplementary bonding is not required anyway.

Thanks EFL. ....I have a landlord electrical safety inspection coming up so wanted to ensure everything is correct before hand.

Your consumer unit is upside down :LOL:

Not a great design having a single RCD protecting the whole installation, it is better to have two or more.

To omit supplementary bonding there must be:
RCD protection of all circuits in the bathroom (which you have) and
Main Bonding correctly applied (which you say you have) and
Disconnection times of protective devices met (which is likely if the installation is correct).
...AND all extraneous-conductive-parts in the bathroom are 'effectively connected' to the Main Bonding (which they usually will be).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back