Condensation problem ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking at a job this morning where the customer thought he had water ingression from his roof tiles I checked the roof no broken or slipped tiles went into the loft space this was also dry. The house does not have central heating and is double glazed the ceiling in there sons bedroom has water dripping from it and there is spots of mould am not entirely sure what to advise. Would venting the roof space solve this problem?

Anyone have any ideas how I can shed some light on this.

Cheers. Tam

Sponsored Links
It could be that the moisture from the room is condensing on the ceiling. Venting the loft wouldn't help this as it's the bedroom that needs venting. Is there any insulation between the joists?

Yes there is insulation between the joists but its not much the house was built 35 years ago and this has only started this year so am told. Very strange.

Its got me stumped. :confused:

Boy's bedroom need a vent and take those magazines off him, will reduce moisture in room. :evil:

Sponsored Links
The problem could be totally unrelated to the roof and you may have water tracking along the ceiling joists either from the external of the building say where there is a blocked rainwater outlet which is saturating the facia board, wall plate and ceiling joists and then tracking along, or there could be a problem with a water storage tank or central heating header tank or overflow pipe leaking.

All worth checking out, also get hold of (hire or buy) a small moisture meter and see if you can track the damp! Works sometimes!! The ones with the prongs will possibly be more suitable than the inductance type!

You will obviously need to charge your customer for time and materials to carry out the survey, but he may well appoint you on the basis of level of detail that you are proposing.

One final comment - you don't need to be a rocket scientist to use a damp meter!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back